Laptop overheating

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Laptop overheating

Postby Ness on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Hello everyone. I'm currently having (what I think is) an issue. When my System is idling or if I even just have like a Web Browser open, my Laptop is averaging about 60°C to 70°C. I've attempted to clean my fan on several occasions previously but I'm beginning to think this may not be where the issue is.

I installed lm-sensors and this is what is currently displaying..

Code: Select all
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +67.0°C 

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +67.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +115.5°C, hyst = +110.5°C)

When I try to run a game (like Spiral Knights) my Temperature goes up to about 90°C to 95°C almost immediately.

I'm not really sure what information you need (fairly new to Linux in general). If you need any more information can you please tell me what to put in the Terminal so I can provide the information that might help resolve this?

And also sometimes it's hard for me to understand certain terminology, if responses can be.. er.. simple to understand I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Ness
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Laptop overheating

Postby I_can_see_the_light on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 pm

In the terminal, enter this command:
Code: Select all
cpufreq-info

If that application isn't installed you will be made aware of it. To install it enter: sudo apt-get install cpufreq-utils

The command cpufreq-info will tell you whether cpu frequency scaling is used. In many cases that is what's missing when a laptop gets overheated.
Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D (triple booting Ubuntu, CrunchBang & Win 7)

----------
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" - R.I.P. Husse
I_can_see_the_light
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Hardware Support