LMDE UP7: NO KNETWORK-MANAGER

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
taytong888

LMDE UP7: NO KNETWORK-MANAGER

Post by taytong888 »

Hello,

After upgrading LMDE to UP7, I have Gnome Classic session only because there's no Cinnamon. Failed to install Cinnamon via "sudo aptitude update" then "sudo aptitude install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon". Had to revert to Gnome Classic because the desktop was not stable and showed that the system is in software rendering mode. My video card is GeForce 6600GT using nouveau.

After logging into Gnome Classic session, I installed "kde-full". After reboot, I logged into the KDE session. I noticed there's no Knetwork-Manager in Synaptic Package Manager, nor is there Knetwork-Manager in the task bar at the right corner. Other than this, KDE-flavored LMDE works just fine.

I had to install "wicd" for use in place of Knetwork-Manager in Network Settings, and wireless works fine. Somehow I was not asked for password to sign on to the SSID. In Network Settings, no SSID shows up either.

Any idea how I can install Knetwork-Manager in KDE, because I would prefer Knetwork-Manager?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LMDE UP7: NO KNETWORK-MANAGER

Post by Monsta »

Do you mean network-manager-kde? It's not in Testing anymore. Its [url=http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/network-manager-kde]package page for Wheezy[/url] says it became a transitional package for plasma-widget-networkmanagement, so it's what you might want to install.
taytong888

Post by taytong888 »

Hello Monsta,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did not find "network-manager-kde" either. Could you show me how to switch LMDE UP7 KDE edition from Testing to Wheezy? I guess once this is done successfully I can install "plasma-widget-networkmanagement"?

Note that for now I want to keep LMDE UP7 in Gnome Classic, which is working fine, for installing Cinnamon 2+ in LMDE UP8.

Currently I can log into either Gnome Classic or KDE Plasma Workspace session.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by taytong888 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

taytong888 wrote:I did not find "network-manager-kde" either. Could you show me how to switch LMDE UP7 KDE edition from Testing to Wheezy? I guess once this is done successfully I can install "plasma-widget-networkmanagement"?
Of course you couldn't find it. I've already explained why.
And since LMDE is always based on Testing, there's no going back from UP7 to Wheezy. Just try to install plasma-widget-networkmanagement.
taytong888

Post by taytong888 »

Hello Monsta,

I found in Synaptic Package Management that "plasma-widget-networkmanagement" version 0.9.0.9-1 is available, so I installed it. I also removed "wicd" to avoid conflicts.

However, after reboot I cannot see the icon for the former. Network Settings shows an error message for "wicd". My wireless connection is still working, it's just that I cannot configure it for security reason.

Any suggestions?
taytong888

Post by taytong888 »

Hello,

Here's an update. I uninstalled "plasma-widget-networkmanager" and re-installed "wicd" as well as its dependent packages. Also added a new widget called "wicd client" (KDE Plasma Desktop > Main > Add new widgets > scroll horizontal slide bar and selected "wicd client".

Wireless connection configured. OK for now!

Return to “LMDE Archive”