RTL8191SE WiFi card...anyone get this to work?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kamaboko

RTL8191SE WiFi card...anyone get this to work?

Post by kamaboko »

Hello,

Got a Toshiba (ugh...I know, pain in the butt) T135-S1310 and am not having much luck getting the RealTek RTL8191SE to work.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
K
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TV10

Re: RTL8191SE WiFi card...anyone get this to work?

Post by TV10 »

I had the same problem, and found this somewhere on the Web. It is for Ubuntu but it worked fine on LMDE:
Download the Linux driver from the Realtek website. You'll have the driver in a .tar.gz archive file. Wherever it is, move that file into /usr/src. Now run the following commands:

% cd /usr/src
% tar xzvf rtl8192se_lin<tab>
% cd rtl819<tab>
% sudo bash
# make clean
# make
# make install
# modprobe r8192se_pci
# exit
Hope this helps
kamaboko

Post by kamaboko »

Thanks, I'll give this a shot tomorrow and report as to how it did/didn't work.
faffmeister
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faffmeister »

Having run LM10 for a few months, I'm having another go with LMDE but still have had no luck getting the RTL8191SE in my Toshiba L500 Satellite working. The main reason I installed LM10 and not LMDE was because the RTL8191SE appeared to work in LM10. It turns out it does not work properly in LM10 anyway (very slow and drops out/won't reconnect for no readily apparent reason).

The problem with this Wi-Fi chip and/or the driver seems to have had a lot of discussion both here and in Ubuntu forums but nowhere have I found a real solution. Indeed it seems that many people don't seem to think there's a problem with the chip or the driver.

So, before I post a new thread to ask for help, I wondered how you'd got on (you said you would post your findings)?

Thanks.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Many thanks, that worked a treat. It's not often you find a solution so easily!
Quick question, why /usr/src?

Foz

Return to “LMDE Archive”