Mint debian 201012 and usb Wifi (TP-Link TL-WN821N)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
beta_tester

Mint debian 201012 and usb Wifi (TP-Link TL-WN821N)

Post by beta_tester »

Hi
Firstly congrats in getting this out for the Christmas season.

My only constructive criticism is it has broken the wifi on my system:

I have the TP-Link 300 mbs 802.11n usb dongle (TL-WN821N)

This dongle works on 100% of all existing versions of linux in the past 3 months *apart* from :( (mournful fanfare make that the sadfare) this Mint debian release.

It does not even find/detect the dongle at all.

Under Ubuntu 10.10 and LinuxMint 10 this usb dongle is superb, and works great with *no* additional configuration needed, can you guys please

look at this problem as it is sad when a new "version" causes something to stop working.

Many thanks and belated seasons greetings john

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linXea

Re: Mint debian 201012 and usb Wifi (TP-Link TL-WN821N)

Post by linXea »

Linuxmint main edition is using a newer kernel then the LMDE release. I have no personal experience with your specific card but I always consult http://wireless.kernel.org/ when dealing with wifi-not-working. They are usually very helpful and newuser-friendly. They have a active mail list and also a irc-channel on Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #linux-wireless

I suggest you look at the docs first and then ask in the IRC-channel. Use Xchat which is included in LMDE.
DrTeeth

Re: Mint debian 201012 and usb Wifi (TP-Link TL-WN821N)

Post by DrTeeth »

I'm not a maven by any means, but I am also having some wireless issues and the kernel would have to be ancient not to support the chipsets involved.

I have just reinstalled LMDE and updated the kernel. The latest package version number and that of the update manager did not match. In update manager, the version number reported is the same as Mint main (2.6.32.24 from memory, replacing 2.6.32.23) and the package number was 2.6.32.5.amd64.

DrT

Return to “LMDE Archive”