Trying my hand at networking

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Trying my hand at networking

Postby wyrdoak on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 pm

I have one PC with Mint 10, another with XP and my NetBook with LMDE in the house and am tired of running around the house with a USB stick when I need transfer a file when needed.

Well anyway I set up and share folder for Mint 10, then went and set up a home network and share folder on the XP computer.

I found them right off :) When I clicked on Network on my computer and mounted both folders. Guess the god Tux is still being nice to me :lol:

Tried a folder transfer to each Computer one at a time. (no need to tempt fate :) )

The computer with Mint 10 is probably about 10ft. though the walls using an old G band wifi card transferred a 1.4gb folder at about 1.9mbps

The computer with XP about 35ft. though the walls, using a N band USB wifi dongle transferred the same 1.4gb folder at about 1.2mbps.

I think the WiFi card in the Netbook is N band also and the router I connect to is N band.

Was downloading a torrent, listening to Clementine, and browsing the internet with nothing slowing down on this end.

Does the transfer rates look right? Or am I missing something?
I've never had any luck with home networking when everything was WindowS so I don't know what it's supposed to look like.
-Dell Mini Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(Maya-Xfce) LInux 3.2.0.57-generic(i686)
SolydX (32bit)
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Wireless