Toshiba Satellite Laptops L455D & C655D - Wireless Fix

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
OkieLinux

Toshiba Satellite Laptops L455D & C655D - Wireless Fix

Post by OkieLinux »

Hello all. First post here, and I'm probably posting in the wrong section, but hopefully the information contained herein will help someone at some point.

I bought a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 on December 14, 2011, gutted Windows 7, and installed Ubuntu 11.10 on it the same day. The installation was flawless, and absolutely everything works as it should (nearly a month in). :D

Later that day, I purchased another laptop, a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5200 and attempted to do the same thing.........gut Windows 7 and install Ubuntu 11.10. Unfortunately it did not go well.

For nearly two weeks I tried various flavors of Linux (Fedora 16, ArchBang, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Mint 12) all with the same results. Some installations went well......others would hang.....all would hang/freeze as soon as it hit the internet, or shortly thereafter.

About five days in I started suspecting a NIC issue. It was clear that if that was the issue, I had two obvious choices:

1. Buy a USB/LAN (wired eth0) and disable the onboard NIC in BIOS....or
2. Buy a wireless router with open source support

Since I was wanting to go wireless anyway, I chose to buy a NETGEAR N300 wireless router and test my theory. As soon as the router was configured, the problems magically went away. Stable, and fully operational in every respect, the Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5200 now runs Mint 12 flawlessly.

Now my thoughts have turned to the onboard NIC........and I suspect this is an IRQ issue. If I ever need a wired (eth0) connection I will reassign IRQ's.....or buy a USB/LAN (wired eth0).

After the realization of my problems with this laptop, I started searching Google for similar problems.....and hopefully solution(s). Sadly, there were several similar problems......but ZERO solutions.

Hopefully this will help someone..........somewhere.......with this same issue.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Toshiba Satellite Laptops L455D & C655D - Wireless Fix

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator

Return to “LMDE Archive”