Help someone living 600km's away get their wifi running...

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Help someone living 600km's away get their wifi running...

Postby gosa on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:45 am

Hi All,

During the x-mas holidays I was asked to help my sister in law for help with her Laptop. It used to run Windows 7, but for some reason I've had to "restore" it a couple of times because of some kind of issues with the updates she recieved.
Trying to do so once again I got presented with a recovery image error - It just wouldn't restore properly, which in the end left me with a laptop that didn't want to boot at all.

This I saw as an oportunity, and told her that: "I'll just trow Linux onto it and all your problems will not only go away - chances are that you'll end up with a computer that runs smoother and faster than it did with Windows" I even threw in the posibility to actually put MS Office on it (with the help of playonlinux).

So - I installed LMDE, applied the update packs and installed all applications that I could think of (that she might be interested in using). All of this I did with a wired network connection. Everything went just fine.

I just missed one "tiny" thing:

I didn't make sure she had her wireless up'n'running before leaving Bilbao for my 600km trip home.
- just didn't cross my mind. (Silly me)

So my question is:

This is a regular user that's been with LM9 for a bit over a year on her netbook. Assuming that her not having a working wifi is not just about clicking on the network icon in the bottom right corner of her desktop and choosing "activate wireless" - what do I ask her to to enter in terminal to get the status of the wireless? (Hardware, if it's activated or not etc etc.) I'm quite sure I can get her to enter a few things and paste the output and send it to me by email so I can try and figure out the rest. I just need to know what to ask from her.

Would that be a dmesg and/or something else?

Thanks in advance,
/gosa

Ohh - in the event that someone happens to have the same laptop (or knows about them) - it's a Compaq 610
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help someone living 600km's away get their wifi running.

Postby mads on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:05 am

To find out the driver (module):
inxi -N
Mintwifi shows lots of useful information:
sudo mintwifi
To see interfaces:
sudo ifconfig
To display the parameters of the interfaces:
sudo iwconfig
To activate/deactivate WiFi interface:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
To scan available access points:
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Help someone living 600km's away get their wifi running.

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Moved here by moderator
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Wireless