How do I network this situation

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

How do I network this situation

Post by tlcmd »

Assistance please, and I'm not the most literate computer user so please keep it simple. Our home has 3 computers and 2 printers which I would like to network into a home network.
1) HP running LMDE connected to a Brother MFC-490cw printer (Computer hardwired to modem)
2) HP running Windows 7 connected to a Brother MFC_495cw printer (Computer hardwired to modem)
3) HP Laptop running Windows 8.1 (wireless via same modem)

Additional info: the HP computer running LMDE is partitioned and has a dual boot to Windows 8.1 and LMDE, but I run LMDE 99% of the time.

My question: How can I network these 3 computers?

And also so the Laptop can connect via the network to both of the printers separately?

Any assistance or references would be appreciated.

Thank you.

tlcmd
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How do I network this situation

Post by Neil Edmond »

Is your question about adding the Linux Mint system to an existing Windows network? Or are are you looking for how to set up a home network for the first time?

If it's the latter, maybe this will help: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
tlcmd

Re: How do I network this situation

Post by tlcmd »

Neil,
Thanks for the assistance. It appears that I now have a home network with both Windows computers (Desktop Windows 7 and Laptop 8.1 on it and working. Even my Linux Mint Debian desktop shows the "workgroup" and those computers, but I cannot access any of them from the LMDE. However, the Brother printer hooked up through the LMDE desktop does print from the Windows Desktop. I'm getting ready to try it from the laptop now.
My problem now appears to be how to access the Windows computers workgroup from the LMDE. The netwrok shows the devices and the workgroup, but there is no place or way to access the workgroup or enter the password. Suggestions?

Thanks again,
tlcmd

Return to “LMDE Archive”