[SOLVED] LAN: computers visible, their shares not.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Marsjanin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marsjanin »

Hello.

I decided to wrote here after many searches and tries of workarounds. Please forgive me my English mistakes and my nervous tone. I really like LMDE, but I don't know, who yet talk to, to resolve my problems. I'm asking for a bit of patience and not giving me replies like "go away and change distro". :]

I may sound some fussy in my first words, but please try to explain the point for me as for complete newbie. Because I am a bit more advanced than complete newbie, and I really can't understand why i *have* to do any workarounds, and the Mint team can't resolve the issue from one update pack to another and so on. :(

Issue #1: Win XP Pro based network, everything is open for anybody (with user/pass combination only) on our "server". If I use *any* Windows computer, the guest's also, I can see, read and write all the PCs and their shares. On my laptop with LMDE I can not. Why? I can see in "network" at Caja all the computer names, but not their shares. The point is: Why this work out of the box on my boss' laptop with Ubuntu? What's wrong with LMDE now? As far as I know, on similar networks also the "naked" Debian works OK, but I didn't test that by myself.

I can use pyNeighbourhood, and for file sharing I'm using it, but… but why, dammit? Why, if the Ubuntu (or maybe even pure Debian too) can do it all without any addon? The another pain with pyNeighbourhood is I can write on any mounted resource only from my root account (sudo etc.). Why, and what for? I can even mount as 'rw' any resource and then open it as root… i mean i haven't mount that as root. And the second problem with pyNeighbourhood is that, it can't be used for issue #2:

Issue #2: The same network, there's a shared printer on the "server". It's well-known at CUPS, HP LaserJet 1018. Simple, and again, my boss can use it on Ubuntu, I – with my LMDE – can't. I can't resolve shares via Samba, so I can't add that printer. We tried put the URI "by finger", we tried run printer searching as superuser. Nothing. How can I print on network printer with LMDE?

There's no difference I use LAN or WLAN.

Hardware: MSI Wind U135DX netbook.
Software: Linux Mint Debian Edition 64-bit, UP6, MATE.

Thanks for your feedback.
PS. There's another network issue that touches wired LAN only and shows up only after stand-by, I'll wrote that down on other topic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Code: Select all

-- 
Regards,  | Dell Latitude E7240
Marsjanin | LMDE 5 - x64, Cinnamon 5.6.5, kernel 5.10.0-20-amd64
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LAN: computers visible, their shares not.

Post by altair4 »

I would suggest going through the checklist on the Mint box:

HowTo: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

If that doesn't fix things post the output of the following commands:

smbtree

testparm -s
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Marsjanin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marsjanin »

Very big thanks. The checklist did the trick. There was that line:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
at smb.conf missing (commented and wrong, like in the exapmle).

I can see now the network files and even started successfully the printer. Thanks again, changing topic to solved.

-- 
Regards,  | Dell Latitude E7240
Marsjanin | LMDE 5 - x64, Cinnamon 5.6.5, kernel 5.10.0-20-amd64

Return to “LMDE Archive”