{CLOSED} Cannot access Samba share

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

{CLOSED} Cannot access Samba share

Postby kaamos on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 am

I have a computer over LAN(Debian) that is hosting a samba share.
I can access the share from nemo, terminal, and gedit.
However, for any other application like Firefox, Thunderbird, Geany, etc, they are inaccessible.

I have root privileges and I am in the group, so what gives?

K
Last edited by kaamos on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaamos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot access Samba share

Postby altair4 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Not a lot of information there. For one thing I don't know how you are mounting the remote share.

Since I no longer "do" Debian I'm not sure where it sets the mount point if you use Nautilus / Nemo to connect to the share but it should be under either /home/$USER/.gvfs or /run/user/$USER/gvfs. The problem is some applications are not gvfs-aware so you may not be able to access it through those mount points.

If the above mount points are inaccessible and this is a share you access often I would suggest going back to the future with AutoFS: Save to a Samba Network Location in all Applications
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby JulianGalbraith on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 pm

I had this problem and found your post. I know this is old but its showing up on google so heres the fix I found.

I needed to access my windows shares in firefox and other apps as well. Once you mount it with the filemanager it mounts it to the filesystem

for me they are in
/run/user/julian/gvfs/

For instance I needed to upload this video which is on my nas.
/run/user/julian/gvfs/smb-share:server=nas,share=allusers/Archive/Videos/8-MUSIC/Adele - Skyfall 17980/adele-skyfall-x264-2012-wmva.mkv

You can drag and drop folders into your shortcut list while you are browsing for files in firefox/chrome etc... I dragged the gvfs folder into it. Problem solved.
JulianGalbraith
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kaamos on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Sorry didn't work, neither the link. There is a workaround by tricking nemo into believing that there is a filesystem, but its too much of a hassle.

Cheers,

K
kaamos
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other networking topics