Slow Samba [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
amtrakuk

Slow Samba [SOLVED]

Post by amtrakuk »

Hi there

Installed over Ubuntu with Mint Debian Edition, alls gone well except the Samba connection to the FreeBSD server upstairs. On LMDE it seems very "laggy".

Opening up Files, clicking Network results in even the Loading wheel to the bottom right of the window to stop spinning, then after about 5 seconds the workgroup is shown, browsing the folder structure on the server results in the same delay.

Workgroup operations and browsing server shares was as fast as browsing local folders under Ubuntu. No changes had been made to my smb.conf.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Slow Samba

Post by altair4 »

Well, I don't use BSD and I no longer support LMDE so I don't know how much help I'll be but it sounds like most of the delay is Linux browsing to the BSD samba shares using Windows' browsing protocol.

Why not access it using mDNS instead. Linux and OSX both implement mDNS by default so I would guess BSD does as well.

Let's say your LMDE uses Cinnamon. Access the BSD samba server directly:

Code: Select all

nemo smb://bsd-hostname.local
Change "bsd-hostname" to whatever the host name is for that box and don't forget the ".local" part.

Both systems have to have avahi up and running and I have no idea how to determine that on BSD. For more information on mDNS / Avahi you might want to look at this: Avahi Networking
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

Tried ubuntu last night and another machine - both now showing odd LAN performace. Changed the NIC on the server now working back as it should at 3MB/s ;)

Thanks
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

Just finished a fresh install of LMDE after the blistering performance from Ubuntu last night only to find LMDE doesn't share the same enthusiasum.

Ubuntu 12.4 = 3MB/s Up / 3MB/s Down (approx)
LMDE 500-800 KB/s Up / 1.5MB/s Down (approx)

On a fresh install of LMDE, anyone got any ideas? I thought it was the LAN card but that has made no difference
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

I was on the right tracks when I was thinking network card but instead of the server it turns out its the WiFi card in my laptop. I was running an Intel 4965AGN Wifi card. I replaced it back with the origional Intel BG WiFi card and Wireless has now been stable at about 2MB/s up/down for a couple of days.

It reminded me that Ubuntu had the same issue when I first started using that, the problems were very simular including stalling in transmission, intimitent breaks in transmission and low transmission speeds. I'm assuming Ubuntu has a different kernel which has ironed out these problems, Debian is yet to fully support the intel 4965 WiFi card. :cry:

As a test I swapped them back over, making sure all 3 aerials were connected correctly and the problem reared its ugly head again before going back to BG.

Return to “LMDE Archive”