Updates by proxy or over local network [SOLVED]

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Updates by proxy or over local network [SOLVED]

Postby josefg on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:41 pm

I have 3 laptops running LMDE 64-bit in my home, and a slow internet connection. What is the handiest way to download files once and update all three? I have been using AptOnCD. This works well but requires some regular manual work, and does not cover 100% of downloads as the three laptops might have slightly different software packages installed. Is there some way to configure the APT-system to work through a proxy, so that I could designate one laptop to connect to the internet, and the other two to connect to it over WLAN?

TIA
Last edited by josefg on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
josefg
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Updates by proxy or over local network

Postby xenopeek on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 am

Hi, for this you would need apt-cacher program, to setup a local repository on your network. It runs as a CGI script on Apache (so you need to install apache also). You set it up on one machine, and change the sources.list on the other machines to point to that machine. The other machines will get their updates from the one machine running apt-cacher (and which actually downloads packages from internet repositories).

If you Google "setup apt-cacher" you get some hits with tutorials and tips. Also be sure to Google "apt-cacher apache security" to get some tips on improving Apache security if you are not familiar with this.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Updates by proxy or over local network

Postby josefg on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks, Vincent!
After a little research I decided to use apt-cacher-ng, and it works perfectly. Thanks again!
josefg
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other networking topics