Muting audio doesn't work properly

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Muting audio doesn't work properly

Post by ddurdle »

I noticed this issue ever since I upgraded to Update Pack 5 and still persistent on Update Pack 6 on all my 64bit and 32bit systems.

The issue is that if you hardware or software (using volume control) mute the sound, you cannot unmute the sound via hardware or software volume control.  The sound will appear unmuted but there is no sound.

The only solution I've found is to run alsamixer. I can then toggle the sound on/off by pressing m (for mute/unmute).

This is the only way I have found to be able to unmute the sound. Anyone have a permanent fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dubslow

Re: Muting audio doesn't work properly

Post by Dubslow »

Brilliant! Thank you sir, for at least a work around and better diagnosis of the problem. Now, if only someone could fix it...
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

Dubslow wrote:Brilliant! Thank you sir, for at least a work around and better diagnosis of the problem. Now, if only someone could fix it...
Sorry about not posting it earlier. I initially assumed it was just me or just my hardware after first running into it after Update Pack 5. But then when Update Pack 6 came out, I updated all my systems to it, and it was then obvious something was wrong since I was able to confirm the issue was occurring on both 32bit and 64bit installs on all various types of hardware (Thinkpads X20-X24, X60-X61T, T420, ultrabooks, hp, etc).

After I was inflicted with this on all my systems, I finally stumbled on this workaround. That was around mid-December.

I'm eager for a permanent fix :)
bedo2991

Post by bedo2991 »

I found a workaround/solution.
Go to keyboad shortcuts and Add a new one.
Name: "My Mute/Unmute" <- Or whatever you prefer
Command: "/usr/bin/amixer set Master toggle"
Assign it to your mute/unmute key and confirm excluding the previous default shortcut assignment.
Dubslow

Post by Dubslow »

bedo2991 wrote:I found a workaround/solution.
Go to keyboad shortcuts and Add a new one.
Name: "My Mute/Unmute" <- Or whatever you prefer
Command: "/usr/bin/amixer set Master toggle"
Assign it to your mute/unmute key and confirm excluding the previous default shortcut assignment.
Sweet! It works for me! (Though of course the fancy graphic popping up would be nice... let's hoped it's fixed soon :P)
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Another solution is to install alsamixer-gui, then you can unmute the sound easily whenever you want. Or someone could just fix the damn sound problem permanently.

Return to “LMDE Archive”