Cracking sound on last two kernel updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Motion

Cracking sound on last two kernel updates

Post by Motion »

Hello,

I didn't bother the community with my sound experience under LMDE since the last two kernel updates, but I feel like it is high time.

When running th linux kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64, everything work like a charm.

But any higher kernel will make the sound cracking.

When booting on 3.2.0-4 and listening to music everything is ok. Reboot with the same settings and it will crack. The levels are ok (the same actually), so I wonder if there is something new or related to latency.. don't know.

I run a 2007 macbook.

Any hint ?

Thanks,

Motion
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: Cracking sound on last two kernel updates

Post by kurotsugi »

it might not solve the problem but it worth to try. this is what I did to enhance the sound quality. /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Code: Select all

; resample-method = src-sinc-best-quality
; default-sample-rate = 72000
; alternate-sample-rate = 96000
Motion

Post by Motion »

Thanks,

but it didn't change anything :(

Update :

Things get better when I shut the lid of my laptop to reopen it again. Waw, that was technical..
I presume that something goes wrong during the boot time. Will investigate it. Don't hold your breath though.. I won't :)
gvelim

Post by gvelim »

Had horible crackling noise affecting, Skype, Chrome Flash audio playback, Hangouts, etc

As per instructions here, turning timer-based scheduling off fixed everything at once incl. crackling free playback with /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so plugin.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... _crackling

Hope it helps
dotpointer

Post by dotpointer »

I can confirm the crackling sound. It's like you are listening to a vinyl record. It pops, cracks and jumps a little bit.

It appear both when you leave the machine alone and when you stress the processor.

Machine is an Acer Aspire One 722-G with LMDE 2014-04 with some parts updated to sid, audio chip is reported by lspci as "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)". Also tried using an external USB adapter with separate sound card(!), also reported as the device above, also with noise.

Previously I've used Mint 15-16 on this machine, also tried latest Ubuntu 14.04 on live USB without this noise.

I've found the noise when playing up music (mostly) and video in VLC and Wine->Winamp.

Things I've tried is:
- add tsched=, model= /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, like options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire, did nothing
- run winecfg and selecting the exact sound card - got rid of the worst noise in Winamp, still pops, clicks and skips
- run Winamp in Alsa-direct(?)-mode, winetricks -- gui -> Select the default wineprefix->sound=alsa, did nothing
- fake-raise buffer for alsa, echo 32768 > /proc/asound/cardX/pcmXp/subX/prealloc (X is your card path), did nothing
- fiddling with /etc/pulse/default.pa with no luck

When I run Wine->Winamp through a console (wine winamp.exe), a buffer underrun is printed when the noise appear, especially if I do not select the proper card in winecfg. The error is the following:
ALSA lib pcm.c:7843:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
Regarding this buffer, I've found differencies between a working Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 16 and LMDE.

If I start VLC playback on a "healty" machine and do cat /proc/asound/cardX/pcmXp/subX/hw_param I get a large buffer_size (+16000).

If I do the same on a popping LMDE buffer_size is as low as ~896-1920. I think this is related, buffer is too low making the noise.

Maybe this already been partly fixed in sid, made an update today which refreshed some packages.
I started playback of a track now in VLC and got a non-popping experience and a buffer_size of 88000+(!). Good.

Warmed up Wine->Winamp and the pops are back, buffer_size is only 1920. Too small.

I guess my question is: how do I tell Wine to raise the buffer_size ?

(Version if Wine is currently sid, eg 1.6+)

Return to “LMDE Archive”