Configure Sound Correctly

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Van Coding

Configure Sound Correctly

Post by Van Coding »

Hi guys

I'm running the newest LMDE version with Cinnamon and I absolutely love it.
But there's a problem that I'm not able to solve:

I have the following 3 sound devices:

- Internal Audio (AUX)
- Internal HDMI Out
- USB Headset

With the sound-icon in the system-tray I can switch between them very easy and everything works fine.
But when I launch a steam game, it always outputs sound on the Internal Audio device, even when the rest of the system uses de USB Headset for audio output.

I've googled a bit how to solve it and there was a suggestion to create a ".asoundrc" file in my home-directory and fill it with the following:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card Headset
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card Headset
}

"Headset" is the name of my USB Headset device, which i got from the command aplay -L.

After creating the file, and rebooting the computer, all steam games now used the Headset as output device, BUT when I select the Headset from the system-tray as system output device, it cannot play sound anymore. When I try to watch videos on youtube, they won't play, because it can't play the sound.

Can I make it work both?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Van Coding

Re: Configure Sound Correctly

Post by Van Coding »

I've found a "solution":

I've added the following 2 lines to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:
options snd-usb-audio index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=1

and commented out all other lines that begin with "options".

This forces my headset to be the number one sound device. Steam games seem to always take the sound device with index 1.

While I'm happy that i can play my games with sound now, I'm wondering if I can configure the system so, that everything always uses the sound device selected with the system-tray sound manager. Even steam games.

Is it possible?

Return to “LMDE Archive”