No sound in Left 4 Dead 2 with steam without disabling pulse

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
crazyjust

No sound in Left 4 Dead 2 with steam without disabling pulse

Post by crazyjust »

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or in the Gaming on Linux Mint section (moderator please move if neccesary).I used the debian installer, and installed steam in LMDE. In order to get sound working in l4f2 with steam, I have to enter "killall pulseaudio" in terminal. Does anyone else use steam with LMDE and experience this problem, or know how to correct it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xerion567

Re: No sound in Left 4 Dead 2 with steam without disabling p

Post by xerion567 »

Hmmmm. I haven't used Steam in Linux yet, but I have a few guesses on what to try.

It could be that either Steam or LFD2 (or Wine, if it is being run this way) is set to bypass PulseAudio. PulseAudio is a finicky thing and doesn't like that sometimes (hence blocking access to the sound hardware). You may be able to make it happy by selecting "PulseAudio Mixer" or similar from within the game as your sound device. I'm doubly suspect of this if LFD2 is being run using Wine, in which case it may be the Wine settings that need to be tweaked.
crazyjust

Post by crazyjust »

I'm not using wine.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Return to “LMDE Archive”