[SOLVED SORTA] Mic not working in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mikhou

[SOLVED SORTA] Mic not working in LMDE

Post by mikhou »

Hey guys,

I just installed LMDE 2 days ago, and I've had to make a couple of things work that were fairly easy so far. My wireless card wasn't turning on at startup, and my printer/scanner wasn't acting exactly right, but those things were fairly easy to fix. The only other hiccup has been my microphone, and, frankly, I'm not sure where to start. I searched LM, Ubuntu, and Debian forums, but I'm not coming up with any solutions. I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1420 with and HDA Intel mic, and I'm getting nothing on the microphone. Sound cards are working beautifully. Any thoughts? What other info do you need to help me out? Thanks for your time.

mikhou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ukbrian

Re: Mic not working in LMDE and I don't know where to start

Post by ukbrian »

Try right clicking on the speaker icon on the right
Click on the Input tab and your mic should be listed there.
good luck
bri
Last edited by ukbrian on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I had checked that before, and when I go to the Input tab, I am presented with Microphone 1 and Microphone 2, but again, I'm not getting anything into the mic. I don't know if there is a conflict somewhere between Pulse Audio and something else or what. Thanks.
zole052

Post by zole052 »

First ckeck your sound card in the Input tab of 'Sound Preferences' and then install 'GNOME ALSA Mixer' and in it uncheck 'mute' on te 'line in' bar of your sound card.
Works for me :)
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

No dice there either. I had previously installed Gnome Alsa Mixer in an attempt to get this working, and I don't even have a "Line in" bar on my sound card. Thanks.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Check alsamixer itself (open from the terminal).
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I checked the alsamixer and everything appears fine. Here's a little more info. My Microphone 2 is working fine. I plugged in my headset with mic, and it's working. It's just the internal Microphone 1 that is not working. Thanks.

mikhou

EDITED: Going back and running "alsamixer" from terminal, I see that you have to hit F4 to go to the capture devices. There I could choose Digital Mic as the default option (should have been set there automatically) and now it works. However, the gain is still pretty low. Any idea how to boost that? Thanks.
Yeticannotski

Re: [SOLVED SORTA] Mic not working in LMDE

Post by Yeticannotski »

Had the same problem with a Dell XPS M1330. In my case I had to use F6 switch (in alsamixer) from the "default soundcard" to mine actual soundcard (HDA Intel) and then I selected "Digital Mic" for all three input possibilities.

Return to “LMDE Archive”