Question Regarding Volume Settings Menu

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
craig10x

Question Regarding Volume Settings Menu

Post by craig10x »

Hi:
I have a laptop with a built in microphone...i am using it for a ham radio/skype kind of application...which works fine on LMDE but was trying to figure out how best to set the mic audio for it...Now, i noticed then in "Volume" settings in control panel there is (by default) a "Front Mic Boost"....
If you go to preferences, you can also make visible a "Mic Boost" (which i now have done)...

Initially, i just boosted the "Front Mic Boost" and even when boosted all the way up, i was told that my audio sounded good, but rather low...
When i tried instead boosting the other one "Mic Boost" then they said was much louder....

My question is: which control should i be using? just the "Mic Boost" alone (which seems to have more effect) or "Front Mic Boost" as well, to get the best results? Also, in your answer, would the same apply if i did use an external microphone plugged in???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craig10x

Re: Question Regarding Volume Settings Menu

Post by craig10x »

I played around with the "main mic boost" by boosting it up a bit and that seemed to solve the problem...now the volume level for the laptop mic is fine in the application i am running...seems the main mic seeting has much more effect then the "front mic boost" does...
Looks like i solved my own problem :wink: :lol:
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Thx for sharing your solution. I've got a Mint 9 Xfce pc, and had audio volume trouble too. My solution was having to include both the Master and PCM volume controls in the xfce mixer, and by adjusting each by trial and error finally found the sweet spot ! That system has never sounded better . . . :mrgreen:

regards.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

thanks for confirming that richyrich...yep, that seems to be the answer...you add the "mic boost" to the default view (in preferences by checking the box)...once it is visible you can then adjust both "mic boost" and the "front mic boost" until you get the best setting :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”