Problem watching dvb-t

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Kaar3l

Problem watching dvb-t

Post by Kaar3l »

Well everything works perfectly on VLC. Any other program doesn't work. See for the pictures, exactly the same also xine. I would prefer to watch tv on kaffeine or me-tv. It works perfectly on usual mint, but both x32 and x64 lmde is exatly the same. :( The stream is MPEG-4 (x264). Anybody has any thoughts?
VLC
Kaffeine
ME-TV
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GregE

Re: Problem watching dvb-t

Post by GregE »

I have a Gigabyte U7000 DVB-T USB stick and run LMDE 64bit with Nvidia driver installed. Me-TV works fine for both standard def and HD TV.

As it works with VLC my guess is that you are missing a codec that the others need. VLC uses it's own codecs, not the system ones. You need to be able to decode .ts streams which are a form of mpeg.

Through Synaptic check your gstreamer library files and make sure you have the good, the bad and the ugly variants. Also ensure ffmpeg is installed. In particular xine-ffmpeg.

LMDE usually ships with all of this enabled. I also install w64codecs (w32codecs for 32bit).
middling

Post by middling »

You could also try installing "totem-plugins-dvb-daemon" which gives Totem TV viewing abilities.

This was my first choice as it's Gnome's "official" way of viewing DVB and includes a nice DVB TV guide. Unfortunately it didn't work properly for me as i would get constant resource busy errors. The channel scanning and TV guide worked so the device was being accessed correctly, i'd just get an error every time i tried to watch or record something. But maybe you'd have better luck.

VLC worked but was a pain as i had to manually open up a channel list file every time i wanted to watch something.

In the end i went with Me-TV, but had to make some adjustments. I had to select the "xv" video driver in preferences to get a picture and the deinterlace settings didn't do a thing until i created a file "~/.me-tv/xine.config" containing the line "video.output.xv_deinterlace_method=linearblend".

xine-ffmpeg probably should have been installed as a dependency of Me-TV but if not then do as GregE suggests and install it.

The xine related packages i currently have installed are:

libxine1
libxine1-bin
libxine1-console
libxine1-ffmpeg
libxine1-misc-plugins
libxine1-plugins
libxine1-x
libxinerama1
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Which kernel do you use. I found that with kernels later than 2.6.36 a lot of dvb-t support got broken. 2.6.36 kernels work fine, or there's a patch for 2.6.38 that works if you are happy to compile your own kernel.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM

Return to “LMDE Archive”