Mencoder help please

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mencoder help please

Postby ukbrian on Sat May 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi I like some advice please on the best way to do what I'm attempting to do.
I have a screen capture device that can capture in .M2TS, .TS or .MP4 in 1280x720 resolution.

At the moment I'm capturing in .M2TS and then converting to .avi using mencoder with these parameters
Code: Select all
mencoder input.M2TS -o avi/output.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=5000:vpass=1:turbo -fps 60 -vf scale=1280:720
which gives good results.

I'm then cutting bits out etc using Avidemux and then joining the .avi files with this code
Code: Select all
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy input1.avi input2.avi input3.avi input4.avi -o joined/output.avi

Is there anyway I can improve what I am doing as to the capture format or the mencoder parameters and also I would like the parameters for converting into .wmv format as I might start capturing in 1920x1080 resolution.

At the moment if you stream from my server the results are terrible http://lin.me.uk/tutorials/video/win-7/vbox/01-install-guest.avi and I wondered if the reduced size of .wmv would help?

When I am happy with the product I intend to post them on youtube but I would like to be able to stream them temporarily from my server.

I am an end user who is unable to understand manuals so all advice in layman's terms and examples please.
thank you for any help.
ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia & Codecs