LMDE - no sound...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

LMDE - no sound...

Post by tenfoot »

LMDE with updates to date

I installed LMDE when it was first released and on the whole my problems have been minor. Those that have occurred have been solved through the expertise of members on the Forum.

Now, for the first time since installing LMDE I am absolutely lost and frustrated. For some reason I have lost all sound: audio discs do not play; youtube videos and flash are soundless; presentations with sound are silent.

It must be something to do with LMDE, because if I run Katya, Live CD, all those things give glorious sound.

running

Code: Select all

systemproductname-desktop ~ $     cat /proc/asound/cards gives:
 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
                      NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at irq 22
 1 [UART           ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
                      MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 10
 2 [U0x46d0x802    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x802
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x802 at usb-0000:00:02.1-2, high speed
and running:

zed@systemproductname-desktop ~ $ lspci | grep -i audio
00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
whilst
[/code]zed@systemproductname-desktop ~ $ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wavPlaying WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : [/code]

or

zed@systemproductname-desktop ~ $ aplay
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
The first instance of aplay was yesterday and the second a few moments ago. I cannot account for the difference in the output as running System Monitor shows that all processes are Sleeping.

Would some kind person help me to solve this problem, please, 'cos I don't want to abandon LMDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: LMDE - no sound...

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi tenfoot,

i think the sound module is not loading to the kernel correctly. Was there a kernel update?

And what about alsa mixer, sth muted maybe?

Return to “LMDE Archive”