help please with solving no video file playback issue-SOLVED

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

help please with solving no video file playback issue-SOLVED

Post by bigbearomaha »

OK, have this LMDE intall. brand new. did all the upgrades to make it as up to date as possible which means it came up with the upgrade to kernel 3.0.1 Ithink it is.

anyway.

This install will play audio files no problem.

picture files open, no problem

regardless of video playback app, it will not palayback any type of video file correctly.

What happens is that it will start to playback. you will see about 1 to 2 seconds of video then everything completely freezes up. it allows no keyboard input at all.mouse input allows it to move onscreen, but no click input.

this happens identically in 2.6. kernel as well.

I have an older nvidia card (about 3 years old) and I thought perhaps it was the nouvuea or whatever that floss video driver is called, having trouble.. went to install nvidia-glx and played video, same freezeup. had to hit hard restart button on pc

upon reboot, 3.0 kernel does not like nvidia-glx being installed.

kernel 2.6. will boot with it however (still no video file playvback) and al lnvidia files were removed via synaptic. (they were installed via synaptic as well)

Back to square one.

might someone help me figure out this issue. I am continuing to search the forum, but if this sounds familiar to you or you have a solution, I'd love to hear it.

Currently this appears to be the only problem this install is having.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bee the best you can bee.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Re: video file playback is a no

Post by bigbearomaha »

nothing going out there huh? hmm.

I'm still trying to finger this out. If I do make headway, I'll be sure to post it here to maybe help someone else who might have the same problem.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Re: help please with solving no video file playback issue

Post by bigbearomaha »

OK folks, problem solved.

my system doesn't like nouveau as a video driver.

I installed the nvidea driver instead (make sure to remove nouveau at the same time or the 3.0 kernel will be unhappy)

now, all is working well on my video playback etc...

Return to “LMDE Archive”