fglrx and video [FIXED)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

fglrx and video [FIXED)

Postby billt79 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:25 pm

hi

not sure if this goes here or in hardware but anyway, i updated to the new fglrx this morning and along with that came a load of xserver updates, after this i cant play any videos, i get a second of sound and then the xserver restarts and goes back to kdm. i reverted back to the open-source drivers to see if video then worked, which it did, but i cant really stick with the open-source driver as compiz doesent agree with it and nor does docky, i have tried finding a way to downgrade all of this stuff but didnt get very far. i didnt find much help with the problem from google either, not sure if its to do with my hardware which is listed below;
acer aspire 5551,
athlon p320
ati 4250 mobility
4gb ram

cheers, bill.
Last edited by billt79 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
billt79
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: fglrx and video

Postby xircon on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Not much help, but I can confirm the same problem. I installed the drivers from experimental/sid and playing video caused Gnome3 to crash back to login. Flash played OK, but VLC or Mplayer both crashed, also there was lots of flickering and strangeness in Gnome3. I reverted back to Gallium drivers.
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Roken on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:43 pm

Also not much help for the immediate problem, but for the future there are two updates I always hold back until I've had a chance to see how less discerning people get along, and those are xorg and fglrx. They are the two updates that, if they go wrong, can make your computing life hell.
Kernel Linux Tex 3.2.2-1 (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
ATI Radeon HD 4670, 1GB
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz (Overclocked)
8Gb RAM
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Postby billt79 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:18 am

Just managed to fix this just now not sure how but i was installing some stuff i restarted the xserver and it worked, il have a dig about, but i think it had something to do with the xvba bitstream stuff, i installed these two packages and stuff worked : xvba-va-driver (version 0.8.0-2) and libxvbaw1 (version 1:11-11-3), cant have been much else, as the only other thing i did was completely reinstall manually with dpkg all the fglrx components.
billt79
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia & Codecs