DVD fails to auto mount and can't copy data from disc to HDD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ZogsterJack

DVD fails to auto mount and can't copy data from disc to HDD

Post by ZogsterJack »

Hi

Have been happily backing up my DVD collection and converting to MP3 on my LMDE 64 bit machine (LM release 1 (debian) running Kernel 3.0.0-1-amd64); then earlier today. Movie Player crashed whilst starting to play a disc straight after closing the drive.

I should say, every time I put a disc in and close the drive, Movie Player auto ran, and dvd menu was displayed. I would then close Movie Player, create a folder on the Hard drive with the name of the film and then open the dvd to view in nautilus. Then simply drag and drop the videots folder into the newly created folder on the HDD. From here I have been using OGMRip to convert to suitable format for PS3 play back. All was going well until this morning....

Movie Player crashed and just sat there on a black video screen, slowing everything else to a crawl. Eventually I killed totem (Movie Player) from within System Monitor and was able to move around the system again at a usual pace and windows reacted as you would expect. I tried to fire up Movie Player again to see if the dvd would play and it crashed again. Once again killed it within System Monitor and then re booted.

Since the reboot, dvds inserted no longer auto mount (they don't appear on the desktop as an icon and don't show as mounted in Disk Utility until manually selected to mount OR selected to play from within Movie Player or similar). If I try to play them from within VLC or Movie Player they work, and I can then access the data structure and copy the data across to the HDD (as worked happily before). If I mount from within the Disk Utility, I guess it mounts the folder in a different way as I then get input/output errors.

How do I reset the system to auto fire up Movie Player on DVD insertion. Hopefully resolving this will resolve the auto mounting of the disc to allow proper data access for copying across to the HDD as before.

Please note this is all solely for the purpose of backing up my own DVD collection and not for any nefarious purposes.

Many thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ZogsterJack

Re: DVD fails to auto mount and can't copy data from disc to

Post by ZogsterJack »

Added info:

It also appears that USB pens, when plugged in, no longer automount and I now have to go into Disk Utility to mount these to access them.
As this has changed at the same time its got to be related, hasn't it?

I've checked the settings on the media tab in nautilus and changed them to see if this updates anything, but to no avail.

Return to “LMDE Archive”