Getting sound only from some applications

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Getting sound only from some applications

Postby edmund on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Hello

I have recently installed LMDE and I am having problems getting sound to work consistently. It seems to be fine on certain websites, e.g. YouTube and some Internet radio stations. However, with other Internet radio stations I get no sound. I have Wine installed, and it tells me that it cannot see the sound card. If I run Preferences->Sound->Hardware, none of the speaker tests work. Any advice on diagnosing the problem would be appreciated. I have checked /etc/asound.conf, and it already contains the pulse-related lines that another post has recommended be added to this file.

Ed
edmund
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Getting sound only from some applications

Postby edmund on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:52 am

Hello

Update. I have followed the suggestion at viewtopic.php?f=197&t=60485&hilit=how+to+remove+pulse+audio and removed Pulse, replacing it with ALSA. It's made almost no difference - sound is still selective depending on application. If anything it's a regression - my volume control has disappeared from the taskbar (and I can't get it back - the instructions in the post I've referenced do not work), and now when I run Preferences->Sound->Hardware, it thinks I have no sound hardware installed (so how come I get sound sometimes???). Any help would be appreciated. Should I submit a bug? Can't believe that every LMDE user is having these problems, so what's unique about my system? Also very surprised that sound has not worked "out of the box" with LMDE - I've not had this problem with Debian or Ubuntu in the past, but then again that was on other machines.

Regards
Ed
edmund
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Getting sound only from some applications

Postby edmund on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:05 pm

I just love talking to a brick wall. Off to find a distribution that works.
edmund
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia & Codecs