No more sound

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
walrus_t

No more sound

Post by walrus_t »

Hi,
I'm using LMDE (up 4) and I have no more sound :'( Could someone help me please? I can give you various outputs but don't know which ones are useful.
I tried to reinstall hplip for my HP Laserjet printer this afternoon... and I don't know if it's related but after that, I had no more sound :'(
Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
walrus_t

Re: No more sound

Post by walrus_t »

When I tried to run

Code: Select all

alsamixer
I got this error:
> ALSA lib conf.c:1220:(parse_def) show is not a compound
> ALSA lib conf.c:1686:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:24:26:Unexpected char
> ALSA lib conf.c:3406:(config_file_open) /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
I found this: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=661095 but replacing my /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf didn't do anything except I don't get any error message when I run alsamixer now. I don't get any sound tough... :(
dyp

Post by dyp »

hello got the same issue.
LMDE looses sound peripheral after the last update. my sound config from alsa is here :
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=029f0 ... 4f4fca3711
I made it with this script :
wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
I tried to use down kernel on start but nothing occurs.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

No more sound...That occurred to a few of my computers on LMDE also.

What i did then was to remove pulse audio and replace by alsa.

I follow mads' how to here.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ulse+audio
walrus_t

Post by walrus_t »

Just tried it but... still no sound :'(
starccraft

Post by starccraft »

I have same issue with my laptop, got the speaker sound back after unmute the "headphone"... in HDA Intel Alsa Mixer
walrus_t

Post by walrus_t »

Mmm, just checked with alsamixer: nothing is muted...
Could it help to know I have a HTPC ASus ASRock?
Thanks for the answers so far; I hope I can fix this sound problem soon :)
walrus_t

Post by walrus_t »

Trying to find a solution to my problem, I tried:

speaker-test
I got:
speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib conf.c:1220:(parse_def) show is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1686:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:24:26:Unexpected char
ALSA lib conf.c:3406:(config_file_open) /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 192 to 2097152
Period size range from 64 to 699051
Using max buffer size 2097152
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 524288
was set buffer_size = 2097152
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 11.303611
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 11.321197
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 11.243087
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 11.340776
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 11.325549
walrus_t

Post by walrus_t »

I don't know what I did but... sound works now. What's new after my last post:
- I reinstalled libasound2;
- I booted on Katya live CD to "try": I had sound;
- I rebooted on LMDE... and I had sound at login!
Works perfectly fine now... :s
dyp

Post by dyp »

I've downgrade to kernel 2.6 and everything is ok for me.
tibalogh

Post by tibalogh »

I got the same errors when I started Tuxguitar or alsamixer.
I found something about this issue on this link: http://linuxindetails.wordpress.com/tag ... -compound/, and edited /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf as it was described in the article.
The error messages disappeared, but still i had no sound in Tuxguitar.
After some googling I installed timidity, a MIDI sequencer - which is required for playing midi sound in TuxGuitar.
Unfortunately Timidity didn't start from its init.d script at boot time, because it couldn't write in its own home directory /etc/timidity.
So i changed its owner:

sudo chown timidity /etc/timidity 
Then I could start it with

/etc/init.d/timidity start
command as root.
After that everything worked fine.
dyp

Post by dyp »

I had trouble with sound after updating kernel from 2.6 to 3.0. downgrading to 2.6 makes it work. my second PC is 3.0 kernel and still no sound.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

I am using LMDE Xfce 64-bit 1204 RC. I've installed this on my work computer and home computer. Interestingly, the sound works fine at work, whereas it does not work at home. My home computer has Intel HD Audio on ASUS PW5 DH Deluxe motherboard.

Incidentally, I thought maybe it was just an Xfce problem, but Cinnamon also does not have sound.

Does anyone have any ideas whatsoever?
Pigsy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pigsy »

I also had issues with sound and decided to remove Pulseaudio and replace it with ALSA. All my apps work very well now, including sound in World of Warcraft under Wine.

My system:

LMDE UP4 with kernel 3.2 (32 bit)
KDE 4.7 with KDM as my display manager
Nvidia HDMI on-board sound.

This is how I got ALSA working:

Remove any Pulseaudio packages you may have installed:

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat  
Install the ALSA packages:

sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-oss alsa-source alsa-tools alsa-utils gstreamer0.10-alsa libasound2 
Optional for KDE4:

sudo apt-get install phonon-backend-gstreamer kmix 
Reconfigure the sound backend choosing ALSA as default:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base
EDIT: The section below relating to /etc/asound.conf and .asoundrc is most likely not necessary. ALSA will work without it.
I found that everything worked apart from sound in Youtube in all browsers. The video played but no sound.
The fix was to delete the .asoundrc in my home directory and to rename (or just delete) /etc/asound.conf

Using the text editor of your choice create a file called .asoundrc in your home directory.
You can also edit /etc/asound.conf to make it system-wide. This will route sound to ALSA rather than Pulse.

pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 0
}

ctl.!default {
	type hw           
	card 0
}
Now reboot the computer.

You may also need to reconfigure gstreamer choosing ALSA as default sound output, try the Test button to see if it works:
Press

ALT+F2
and type

gstreamer-properties
into the box.

You may also need to reconfigure VLC:

In VLC go to Tools > Preferences > Audio
Output module = ALSA
Device=yoursoundcard

This was written from memory so I hope there aren't too many mistakes and is helpful to someone :)
Last edited by Pigsy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

Pigsy what you suggested did not work for my case, so I reinstalled pulseaudio (incidentally alsa was already installed). However....

... one promising sign: if I do ALT+F2 and launch gstreamer-properties, under the "Default Output", when I select "ALC882 Analog" as device and "ALSA" as the plugin, I do in fact hear the test sound. However, when I choose "default" as the device, I hear nothing.
alsa setting.png
When I choose "PulseAudio" as the plugin and "Internal Analog Audio" as the device, nothing.
pulseaudio setting.png
How do I make the sound go through ALSA and "ALC882 Analog"?
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

After all of that, I ended up removing pulseaudio, alsa, and using OSS, and it STILL didn't work. Well, then I found the following: http://wiki.debian.org/SoundFAQ

Essentially, all I had to do was the following:

sudo adduser user audio
where I inserted my user name for "user" in the above. After logging out and logging back in it worked. Apparently, whatever update I ran or whatever I installed removed me from the "audio" group, and thus even though audio technically worked, I was unable to actually use it. Even having a group for audio seems pretty stupid to me, as who doesn't want to have audio? Nonetheless, this fixed my issue after I removed alsa and pulseaudio and installed OSS. To do so I followed the instructions here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p394523
I really doubt that was even necessary, and being added to the "audio" group was the only thing I needed to do.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

For the matter of having groups, there's a GUI to set this as well:

Menu --> System --> Users and Groups

Within Users and Groups, select "Advanced Settings" and then select the "User Priveleges" tab. Go ahead and check all of that you want (not sure there's any you wouldn't want), especially "use audio devices." That this isn't enabled by default remains an enigma to me...
Pigsy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pigsy »

Apologies, I missed a section about using a .asoundrc file with ALSA, so I've added it to the post above.

It looks like you've made good progress anyway, I went through similar issues until I got ALSA working. Ialso tried OSS4 but I didn't have much success with it (some apps worked but others wouldn't).

Ultimatately I had to junk Pulseaudio to get sound working under Wine and only ALSA has let me achieve that.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

Another option for those of you who have realtek audio drivers (my asus pw5 dh deluxe has this card), which I believe is just a rebranded Intel card, but I'm not sure. Go to:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

Download, untar, and run install script as root.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

So actually, when I tried to revert back to ALSA from OSS, it didn't work, even though I had added myself to the audio group in LMDE. Fortunately, I found a fix for my particular case....

... I have a Realtek882 soundcard on an ASUS PW5 DH Deluxe motherboard, and even when I had installed the drivers from the site, it still didn't work w/ ALSA. I then just had to....

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
and I added

options snd-hda-intel mode=auto
and then rebooted. Sound worked!

Return to “LMDE Archive”