How To: Completely remove PulseAudio & replace it with ALSA

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
light0

Re: How To: Completely remove PulseAudio & replace it with A

Post by light0 »

This guide needs to be updated for Mint 13.

I followed the guide for Mint 13 as best I could, although libpulse* packages are now different.

I was able to get the sound applet back on the panel nicely by installing gnome-alsamixer and the package: volumeicon-alsa.

It would be nice if pulseaudio could be cleanly removed without leaving random pulse packages around. For example, if I try to remove certain libpulse packages, the package manager tries to remove at least half my system.
NewDawn

Post by NewDawn »

i followed this guide but it broke my cinnamon, now i cant add any applets to my panel nor click on anything in the bar except my menu. There is also no add "Volume Control".
mads

Post by mads »

NewDawn wrote:i followed this guide but it broke my cinnamon, now i cant add any applets to my panel nor click on anything in the bar except my menu. There is also no add "Volume Control".
Sorry that it broke your system.
This guide was written three years ago, at the time of Gnome 2 and before the release of Gnome 3, MATE and Cinnamon. I'm going to point this out in the guide. :)
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

NewDawn wrote:i followed this guide but it broke my cinnamon, now i cant add any applets to my panel nor click on anything in the bar except my menu. There is also no add "Volume Control".
Hi NewDawn,

I haven't used Gnome/Cinnamon for awhile but when I did the Volume Control applet was dependent on Pulse. No Pulse = No Volume Control applet. :shock:
mads

Post by mads »

GeneBenson wrote:...I haven't used Gnome/Cinnamon for awhile but when I did the Volume Control applet was dependent on Pulse. No Pulse = No Volume Control applet. :shock:
The volume control applet was never an issue for LMDE. It was an issue for the main edition, and it was resolved! See my other [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70675]tutorial[/url] (section F.).
vatan123

Post by vatan123 »

Thanks, It worked for me!
but after this works I active headphone and Speaker in volum control to work.

Return to “LMDE Archive”