Using the Terminal for Newbie's

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
iBodhi

Using the Terminal for Newbie's

Post by iBodhi »

I thought I would write a little piece for everyone who is new to Linux (& Mint). Having just converted myself I have found that a lot of people refer to the Terminal or Command box. After initially not knowing what this was yet alone what it did I have managed to find some useful information for Newbies to help you along the way.

To find the Terminal for now press CTRL & ALT & T alltogether. I deal with a better route at the end of this post.

To find out what Terminal is all about see Ubuntu's description of the Terminal here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Don't be afraid that it says Ubuntu OS and not Linux Mint - it's the same codes and ideas. There are some great starting tips on that website - have a play with your Terminal screen to find out what it does - don't worry about any codes messing up your system - nothing on that webpage will do that. A good one to try out is: (this shows you the type of operating system you are using)

Code: Select all

lsb_release -a
You will see a lot of people referring to the Terminal so don't be afraid to use it. I have also found that it's sometimes a pain to get to the Terminal when looking at a webpage with a code on it, then remembering what it was copy/paste (note that CTRL & V does not work in terminal and you have to 'right click' and choose PASTE in order to do the same) etc so I use the software/program called "guake".

This program allows you to access the Terminal with 1 key (f12) on your keyboard and when it comes up it is see-through so you can still read what is underneath the Terminal. If can easily be downloaded via the Software Manager in Mint 12 - and I recommend this way as its easy, you can check out Guake's website here:

http://guake.org/

Once you have dowloaded Guake - have a look at the Guake Preferences in the Menu seach bar of Mint - and you can see the special access key (basically its f11 & f12). However in order for it to be open all the time you need to add it to your startup menu by doing the following:

1. Open Menu in Mint & search for "startup applications" - open this app.
2. Click on "add" and under the tab NAME enter "Guake"; and under the tab COMMAND enter "/usr/bin/guake"
3. Click on Save.
4. NOTE - all of the above in quote "" marks the text inbetween the quote marks should be entered and not quote marks themselves.

I hope this has helped some people.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lomapur

Re: Using the Terminal for Newbie's

Post by Lomapur »

To paste things into terminal use ctrl+shift+v if I remember correctly ;)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
mads

Post by mads »

iBodhi wrote:...I hope this has helped some people.
It has definitely helped me. I love Guake Terminal. Thanks a lot. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”