(Resolved) Updates 19-04-2012 - Crash + running hot!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Myself

(Resolved) Updates 19-04-2012 - Crash + running hot!

Post by Myself »

Installed the few updates presented today - debian-system, mint updates, etc., and everything was fine until I switched off to boot a different OS. On restarting LMDE Xfce I could ot do anything as all I got was a Mint background and no menu or desktop icons. Restarted in recovery mode which gave me a debian screen and played about. Rebooted and logged in and all seemed well but fan is working hard and system is running at 82C - it was @ 55C when idle previously - which is better than Ubuntu 12.04 which never goes below 63C.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Myself

(1/2 resolved) Re: Updates 19-04-2012 - Crash + running hot!

Post by Myself »

I realised what the problem was when opening a few windows - all of which went to top left corner, on top of each other.

The problem is fixed by running "xfwm4" in Terminal but it's only a temporary fix as it has to be done after every restart. Not ideal.

Temperature is now running about 63C when idle.
äxl

Re: (1/2 resolved) Re: Updates 19-04-2012 - Crash + running

Post by äxl »

Myself wrote:"xfwm4"
xfwm4 --replace right? Do you have xfce4-session installed?
Have you tried putting the line into ~/.profile?
Temperature is now running about 63C when idle.
What is the system monitor showing? If the CPU is really idle (at 0-5%) you should probably clean your PC. ;)
Myself

Re: (1/2 Resolved) Updates 19-04-2012 - Crash + running hot!

Post by Myself »

Cannot remember the two processes now that were running the CPU at approx 48% and 49% respectively. Tried to stop them with Task Manager but all I got was a crash that took me to a log-in prompt on a black screen. I entered user name and password and tried "startx" but all I got was message saying it didn't exist and then the log-on prompt again. Rebooted and had to run "xfwm4" in Terminal and thought all was well but various programs just started crashing.
Myself

Re: (1/2 Resolved) Updates 19-04-2012 - Crash + running hot!

Post by Myself »

After latest updates and a reboot it seems to have resolved itself.

Return to “LMDE Archive”