Problem of update-apt-xapian-index on LMDE 201204

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
abnor

Problem of update-apt-xapian-index on LMDE 201204

Post by abnor »

The update-apt-xapian-index on LMDE 201204 use CPU at 100% and freezing my PC!
This applies to newly installed LMDE 201204 only. Under Mint 11 OS I haven't them.

Short Description. Periodically are runs script: update-apt-xapian-index
It is very much loads my system. The CPU are loads at 100%, and appeal loads the hard drive very intense too. So my desktop is literally 'frozen' for 5 minutes or more and it causes do CPU peak! This is just not normal situation. But under Mint 11 I have never seen anything like it.

Well, I was read 'suggestions' like it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... an#p519689
But I do not think this is a very good solution to this problem...

Temporarily I was disable automatic updates. I'm prefer remove it from Startup Applications List, who available them as two positions for Updating OS. But this is abnormal situation, is not it?

What's the matter? How to prevent this defect?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Problem of update-apt-xapian-index on LMDE 201204

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I got the same problem with LMDE 201204 and Xen kernel installed. Here is the output:

Code: Select all

sudo update-apt-xapian-index 
[sudo] password for XXXX: 
Reading .desktop files from /usr/share/app-install/desktop/...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index", line 97, in <module>
    if not indexer.setupIndexing(force=opts.force, system=opts.pkgfile is None):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/axi/indexer.py", line 518, in setupIndexing
    addon.obj.init(dict(values=self.values), self.progress)
  File "/usr/share/apt-xapian-index/plugins/app-install.py", line 142, in init
    entry = DesktopEntry(os.path.join(APPINSTALLDIR, f))
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/xdg/DesktopEntry.py", line 25, in __init__
    self.parse(filename)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/xdg/DesktopEntry.py", line 33, in parse
    IniFile.parse(self, file, ["Desktop Entry", "KDE Desktop Entry"])
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/xdg/IniFile.py", line 44, in parse
    for line in fd:
MemoryError
I had to kill it - it totally froze my PC and my SSD worked continuously.

Any suggestions?
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

You could simply uninstall the apt-xapian-index package (but keep libxapian22). You will still be able to run searches in Synaptic, they will just take a few seconds longer because there will no longer be a huge index cached on your hard drive.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Disable or remove the cron job, it should only be set to run weekly. Or at least it is on my system.

/etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Thanks for the quick response.

1. Whenever I ran Synaptic, it would tell me "indexing..." and my PC froze. It was update-apt-xapian-index that caused the problem.

2. I tried to uninstall apt-xapian-index, but the system reported various errors. Other apt-get commands also didn't work (apt-get clean...), so I guess my system is damaged.

3. Rebooting into a normal kernel (not the Xen kernel I use before), the system would enter into maintenance mode and complain about an /dev/sda2 fsck problem. I ran fsck manually and it (hopefully) fixed a list of problems.

4. Rebooted into Xen kernel, as I thought that the initial problems with synaptic/update-apt-xapian-index were perhaps some file system problems that were solved using fsck.

5. Still the same issues.

6. IMPORTANT: I swear that synaptic worked fine 2 days ago. I did some Xen related adjustments to the dom0 (via config file) and installed 2 domUs. But none of the changes should break apt-xapian-index.

FORGET ALL of the above: I managed to uninstall apt-xapian-index and reinstall it. Now its working!

I still can't figure out what happened. Could this be a hardware issue?
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
äxl

Post by äxl »

Rebuilding Xapian index also takes forever for me. I guess there was just a hiccup that didn't report the index as up to date.

Return to “LMDE Archive”