gcc 4.7 needed in incoming

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Flesh

gcc 4.7 needed in incoming

Post by Flesh »

Liquorix 3.4 had a dependancy on gcc 4.7; 4.6 is in testing and incoming; Liquorix will change that dependency for 3.4 and move it to version 3.5; so this gives us more time; but I was hoping you would move gcc 4.7 into testing incoming for now; so by the time 3.5 comes out; it will be in testing; like it is in the debian repo.

Also you need to think about a repo strategy for unstable, it needs to be like testing; incoming and all; I really do like that feature; great idea; its more stable then it ever was before; but I still have to run things out of unstable, and some dependencies are also out of unstable, i.e. Blender 2.63 and Qt 4.8.1 (which has an issue with finding Wt libraries, which is also in unstable); so as you can see, its a can of worms, and to fix it; we need an incoming, and more time to fix it; plus it will make unstable just a term for newer instead of unstable.

Thanks; running Mate; best Desktop since Gnome 2.6; love it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
damentz

Re: gcc 4.7 needed in incoming

Post by damentz »

Is no one interested in this request? gcc 4.7 is a harmless inclusion and will eventually become a hard dependency for some of Debian's core packages.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

damentz wrote:Is no one interested in this request? gcc 4.7 is a harmless inclusion and will eventually become a hard dependency for some of Debian's core packages.
damentz,
my guess is that UP5 won't take that long and by then this *issue* will be solved.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

This was already covered in another thread. And, an update to the Liquorix kernel reverted to GCC 4.6. Nevertheless, if you want GCC 4.7, there's no need to whine to the developers asking for it; simply enable the Sid repo and grab it (and nothing else!) Then disable the Sid repo.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Flesh

Post by Flesh »

cmost wrote: This was already covered in another thread.
Do you have a Link?

I posted this because I did not find it.
there's no need to whine to the developers asking for it; simply enable the Sid repo and grab it (and nothing else!) Then disable the Sid repo.
I did not whine, just stating a fact, its already in the Debian testing repo, and has been for a while now, and I'm sure it soon will be in the LMDE testing or incoming repo, but its not right now, but sometimes a lag also means that newer apps will require new dependencies, and not everyone wants to run out of unstable for a compiler, personally I do, so its not an issue for me, I'm asking this for those that do not want to use unstable; sometimes people forget to push a release from one repo into the next; in a few weeks this will be an issue, just heads up so its not.

Return to “LMDE Archive”