Upgrade mistake..not sure.

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Upgrade mistake..not sure.

Postby Kilhd on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Hello all.. I have been using LMDE for a while now and love it. I was wanting to upgrade Transmission to the latest and I added a line in sources as directed by a 3rd party(and as a linux novice didn't question too much). Well I think I updated everything else also and now my system is "screwed to hell". While it is up-to-date and functional it is NOT in the state I left it in previous. I wanted to know if there was a way to find out what all was upgraded and how to revert back to my old system? The mint menu is gone, Most of my personal settings are gone, when I try to start a "GNOME" session on login I get "oops, something has went wrong: log out" I have to start "GNOME Classic" to get to my GUI now. Any information/help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance! I really don't want to have to re-do my whole system because of all the personalized settings I had.
Kilhd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrade mistake..not sure.

Postby xircon on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Sounds like your video drivers. Can you post the results of:
Code: Select all
cat /var/log/apt/history.log > temp.txt && gedit temp.txt

Just post the entries from around the time it started to go wrong.

Also what are the specs of your machine? (video card etc.).
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Kilhd on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:52 pm

It's quite a bit so I put the temp.txt on my webhost. ( http://www.knology.net/~lyricalsatan/temp.txt )

System is older Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 6gb ram, evga nvidia geforce 210.
Kilhd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xircon on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Don't know a lot about Nvidia, but it looks like you have upgraded various packages from 280.13-1 to 295.20-1. Check if the older packages are still in your cache:

Code: Select all
cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
ls *280.13-1*

Does that give you a list of packages?

You could try to downgrade with sudo dpkg -i *280.13-1*.deb but you might want to wait for some of the guys with nvidia cards, I only know amd/ati.
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Kilhd on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes, that gives me a list of packages. I will wait a bit and see if someone with nvidia chimes in. Thanks a lot for the info.
Kilhd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xircon on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:25 am

That is good news. Clonezilla is your friend in these circumstances, I make weekly back-ups, so if it screws up, I can restore to a known state. Good luck!

Steve
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Kilhd on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 pm

"You could try to downgrade with sudo dpkg -i *280.13-1*.deb " A few minutes ago I got anxious and tried this command leading to some error but I missed it as I got frustrated and pushed the reset button. Now all I have is a non-gui login prompt. Can I just "re-install" LMDE and leave my files in tact? or anyone have any other suggestions? :?
Kilhd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xircon on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:44 am

Errrr Clonezilla?

Do you have a separate home partition? Then yes, If not boot of a live cd and copy your files to another drive, then reinstall, but create a separate home partition this time.
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues