Time settings out of sync

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Time settings out of sync

Postby narendra.d on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:27 am

Note: I have posted this in the Main LMDE (tracking testing) upgrade thread. However i felt it more appropriate to put it in a new thread as it does not concern upgrades. If my assumption is wrong, this thread may be closed.

I needs some help.

My system is triple boot with LMDE (tracking Testing and installed ages ago) along with Crunchbang Waldorf and WinXP.

The issue is with the time setting going haywire every so often almost on every reboot. The RTC clock is set to UTC and the WinXP has its registry edited to read RTC as UTC and not as localtime. Internet time sync on WinXP is disabled. My time zone is Asia/Kolkatta. Crunchbang displays the time right always and does have ntp installed.

Its LMDE that is displaying the time wrong at almost every reboot (and writing the wrong time to RTC at shutdown, which in turn is affecting other OS's). I have ntp installed, so the time corrects itself when connected to the net, but the RTC time is almost everytime not what it needs to be. It goes off (always falls behind, never runs ahead) by about 1.5 to a few hours. I don't understand where the system is going wrong. I have tried dpkg-reconfigure tzdata, hwclock --systohc --utc and tried deleting the /etc/adjtime file as well, but to no effect.

My LMDE had most Mint stuff removed quite a while back and then some were reinstalled including mint-update and the pin priority in the /etc/preferences file was 500 for both mint and debian repos. Now everything is as per the original setting as it were meant to be for LMDE tracking Debian Testing (as per zerozero's FAQ thread on repos/sources). There are no other sources at all. I use Gnome 3 and Gnome Classic if it matters, but have openbox installed as well but rarely use.
Are there multiple packages that are controlling time setting in my system because of the change of control from mint to debian(gnome). I do not have Mint/Cinnamon installed currentky though I had Cinnamon for a while earlier and now is removed.

How do i correct this? I would like to correct this in LMDE as thats where any goof up from my side might have happened and also because its the primary OS. Is it possible other OS's are responsible? If yes, what to do and where?

Any help/advice will gratefully recieved.
narendra.d
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Time settings out of sync

Postby ergosys on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:13 pm

What is the UTC setting in /etc/default/rcS?
ergosys
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Time settings out of sync

Postby narendra.d on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:00 am

Hi

Thanks for responding. The current rcS file does not have a setting for UTC as the setting are now managed by /etc/adjtime and hwclock. The Old rcS file has a comment for that.

/etc/adjtime has the settings as UTC. The other things on it are as below which I do not understand fully.
Code: Select all
0.000000 1349015488 0.000000
1349015488
UTC
narendra.d
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 am

Re: Time settings out of sync

Postby thejohnf01 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:30 am

from terminal
login as root (su -)
( to open press ctrl + alt + t )

type:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/rcS

Modify utc=yes to utc=no then save and exit

it is working fine for me in dual-boot with win7

Read... http://askubuntu.com/questions/93638/lo ... -dual-boot
thejohnf01
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Time settings out of sync

Postby BostonPeng on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 am

thejohnf01 wrote:from terminal
login as root (su -)
( to open press ctrl + alt + t )

type:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/rcS

Modify utc=yes to utc=no then save and exit

it is working fine for me in dual-boot with win7

Read... http://askubuntu.com/questions/93638/lo ... -dual-boot

I've been glad to follow this thread since I'm noticing last modification dates in Dolphin don't match up with my current local time (US EDT). But before I apply this I'd like to make sure it's safe for a pure Debian-based distro like LMDE since it comes from Ubuntu, a distro that is known for doing things just differently enough from Debian to not be 100% compatible with pure Debian distros.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
User avatar
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Time settings out of sync

Postby squeezy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 am

BostonPeng wrote:I've been glad to follow this thread since I'm noticing last modification dates in Dolphin don't match up with my current local time (US EDT). But before I apply this I'd like to make sure it's safe for a pure Debian-based distro like LMDE since it comes from Ubuntu, a distro that is known for doing things just differently enough from Debian to not be 100% compatible with pure Debian distros.


/etc/default/rcS no longer controls UTC settings in Debian. At least for anything newer than Squeeze. Instead, edit /etc/adjtime and change the last line to LOCAL instead of UTC.
squeezy
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: The Land of Enchantment

Re: Time settings out of sync

Postby BostonPeng on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am

squeezy wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:I've been glad to follow this thread since I'm noticing last modification dates in Dolphin don't match up with my current local time (US EDT). But before I apply this I'd like to make sure it's safe for a pure Debian-based distro like LMDE since it comes from Ubuntu, a distro that is known for doing things just differently enough from Debian to not be 100% compatible with pure Debian distros.


/etc/default/rcS no longer controls UTC settings in Debian. At least for anything newer than Squeeze. Instead, edit /etc/adjtime and change the last line to LOCAL instead of UTC.

Thanks squeezy. I made that change yesterday and hadn't had a chance to see if it made a difference for me and it turns out that did the trick.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
User avatar
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 am
Location: Boston, MA

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests