[SOLVED, mostly] IP servers broken after UP5

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED, mostly] IP servers broken after UP5

Postby Ken_g6 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:02 pm

I just installed the rest of UP5 and...this is weird.

First, on startup, the correct things start up, just not all at once. Some things launch very slowly, including a Polipo caching proxy window, BOINC Manager, and GKrellM. I think they may all be things that launch TCP servers, but I'm not sure.

Second, when I launch a web browser, I can't get it to work through Polipo; I have to use "no proxy". When I try to connect to my Apache server, it times out. BOINC Manager can't connect to BOINC even though it appears to be running. When I try two instances of netcat, one receiving and one sending, in two xterms, they don't communicate. Using UDP mode doesn't help either.

What is going on?

I finally put the following line in /etc/rc.local, before the exit 0 line:
Code: Select all
/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
I wish I knew a cleaner solution, though. :roll:
Last edited by Ken_g6 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken_g6
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: IP servers broken after UP5

Postby Ken_g6 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Well, I think I found the problem. I may have corrected it temporarily. But I'd still like to know how it's supposed to be fixed.

It finally occurred to me that, since this is a networking problem, I should check ifconfig. Result: eth1 was listed, but "lo", the local loopback, wasn't! A little Googling turned up this TLDP entry. I ran the code there:
sudo ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1

Voila, I can access 127.0.0.1 now!

However, I think there may still be problems during startup because this isn't working at that point. So I'd like to know where it's supposed to be running but isn't, or is failing. TLDP says "the rc.inet1 script", but I don't have one of those. More Googling leads to /etc/network/interfaces. Mine has:
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
Anything wrong there? It somehow hasn't been modified in two years, even though I only switched to LMDE this year. So where else should I look?
Ken_g6
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues