no GUI after UP5

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rayandrews

no GUI after UP5

Post by rayandrews »

All,

It seems I'm not the only one to have had this happen. I'm writing this from by backup partition on the same machine, so all my hardware is still good. I have an ATI Radeon card. When I 'startx' 'Xorg.0.log' tells me: "No supported AMD display adapters were found". 'aticonfig' tells me "No supported adapters detected". From what I've read the problem is in the kernel or xorg or fglrx and that if I could 'roll back' those things I might have a fighting chance. If I rename my xorg.conf I do get the GUI to boot, but both of my monitors show the same thing, and the resolution is terrible, like maybe 640x480.

At some point during the update there were msgs regarding fglrx being in the kernel or not in the kernel or some such. FWIW, there was also an error msg to the effect that the root partition could not be determined from fstab which seems strange:

#
#<file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
#
# SYSTEM:
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 swap swap sw 0 0
/dev/sdb2 / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Any advice? As I said, my backup is fine, so I can copy over any files if that might help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rayandrews

Re: no GUI after UP5

Post by rayandrews »

No help at all? Maybe it's time to try a more stable distro, but I'd still like to get LMDE fixed if possible. What I've found so far is that the problem is some sort of conflict between fglrx and xerver-xorg-core version 1.12.1. If I could figure out how to rollback to version 1.11.4-1 that might work, but again, I can't find any help on how to do it.
I hope someone has an answer.
ketoth

Re: no GUI after UP5

Post by ketoth »

From fglrx package description:
This driver release supports the following graphics adapter families:
AMD Radeon HD 7000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, and AMD Radeon HD 5000.
If you're not in these series, may I suggest this ?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
And because it won't hurt:

sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg-video-radeon
Sorry, the way the proprietary driver tells you that no supported device was found makes me say you'll be in peace only with the free driver.
rayandrews

Re: no GUI after UP5 [SOLVED]

Post by rayandrews »

ketoth wrote:From fglrx package description:
This driver release supports the following graphics adapter families:
AMD Radeon HD 7000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, and AMD Radeon HD 5000.
If you're not in these series, may I suggest this ?

sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
And because it won't hurt:

sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg-video-radeon
Sorry, the way the proprietary driver tells you that no supported device was found makes me say you'll be in peace only with the free driver.
Hi ketoth,

Thanks for taking the time. What you suggested worked, but it performed poorly on my dual monitors.
I eventually cracked it by installing

amd-driver-installer-12.6-legacy-x86.x86_64.zip

from

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx

I'd swear the 'legacy' driver wasn't there the first time I looked.

Return to “LMDE Archive”