Wrong duplicated fstab entries after updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Emerson Prado

Wrong duplicated fstab entries after updates

Post by Emerson Prado »

Hi all,
I have LMDE with Mate tracking latest repos. I do my updates not often - I usually end up having over 1,000 outdated packages. Now, trying to solve another problem, I noticed my fstab had incorrect entries. I'm sure I didn't do these changes, and none else did either (none knows squat of Linux here at work). Here's what I got:

Code: Select all

(Comments removed for clarity)
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/sda1
UUID=67fa5754-e3ad-47cf-b88a-0b76f00577dd	/	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro		0	1
# proc		/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
# Wrong /dev/sda1
# UUID=67fa5754-e3ad-47cf-b88a-0b76f00577dd	/	ext3	errors=remount-ro	0	1
# /dev/sda2
UUID=0f9485ef-0fbc-4233-a48f-3db50e2eb654	none	swap	sw	0	0
# /dev/sdb2
UUID=b2f74e85-0453-418f-bf08-37ec376d363a	none	swap	sw	0	0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto		0	0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  	0       0
proc		/proc	proc	nodev,noexec,nosuid		0	0
# /dev/sdb1
UUID=bc178dac-2204-4d25-8b5f-4cbd91d6446f	/home	ext4	defaults,errors=remount-ro	0	2
(Irrelevant entries removed for clarity)
Pls note the commented out proc, "Wrong /dev/sda1" lines and the next one. Pls note also the correct /dev/sda1 line at the beginning and the correct proc line at the end (yes, this could be in a better order). I commented out these lines myself.
All of this leads me to think some update/upgrade changed my fstab in the wrong way, inserting duplicate lines. Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest idea on how to know which specific update(s) caused this. I don't even know if the wrong lines were inserted by the updates or were the original ones. Sorry by the vagueness, but it's all I know.

Best regards,
Emerson
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Emerson Prado

Re: Wrong duplicated fstab entries after updates

Post by Emerson Prado »

I forgot to mention important info from my installation. Here's my inxi -S output:

System:    Host Emerson Kernel 3.2.0-3-686-pae i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
And this is a one year old (or more) install.
I installed Mint again from the same CD I used for my current installation, and this is the inxi -S output right after installation (after first boot):

System:    Host mint-teste Kernel 2.6.32-5-686 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
I then checked fstab, and noticed the duplicated entries were already there. So that means this is the behaviour found in the installer itself, not result of an upgrade. I replaced Gnome 2 with Mate, updated the kernel and installed/removed lots of stuff, and nothing messed with my fstab.
(It's being a nice exercise on upgrading and dealing with erros, indeed! :D )
Regards,
Emerson
zerozero

Re: Wrong duplicated fstab entries after updates

Post by zerozero »

Emerson,
WOW :D you are using an ancient iso to (re)install the system (that should be one of the first lmde isos)

now,i have a vague idea about those fstab issues but as far as i can recall they were fixed in the most recent isos.
if you feel like testing (and get to the bottom of this) can you please try the 2012.04 iso http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php and see if the behavior remains.

Return to “LMDE Archive”