[solved] UP6 and Brightness troubles on Toshiba L750

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

[solved] UP6 and Brightness troubles on Toshiba L750

Post by roger64 »

Hi

Brightness settings are a recurrent sore point on Toshiba laptops using Linux.

When I bought this one 18 months ago, after trying unsuccessfully many methods found on support threads, I had been able to find a satisfactory way to reduce the glare of my laptop. I used the version of NVIDIA X Server settings I had found at that time on Linux Mint. Contrary to the current version you can now find coming with UP6, it included a part with a diagram where I could change the brightness settings. It also allowed me to produce a .nvidia-settings.rc file which memorized the chosen settings on start-up. I considered the problem as solved.

On UP5, the situation was slightly worse, I had to start again the NVIDIA X Server Settings to make him remember but it worked. I would like to use again the old NVIDIA X Server Settings of 18 months ago or to force the one of today to use the old file. I preciously kept the original .nvidia-settings.rc file but this file seems to be of no use now on UP6.

This is the original working one which is now consistently erased and replaced... If somebody can help because I cannot stand the glare of my laptop.

#
# /home/roger/.nvidia-settings-rc
#
# Configuration file for nvidia-settings - the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility
# Generated on Thu Dec 27 15:19:21 2012
#

# ConfigProperties:

RcFileLocale = C
ToolTips = Yes
DisplayStatusBar = Yes
SliderTextEntries = Yes
IncludeDisplayNameInConfigFile = No
ShowQuitDialog = Yes
Timer = PowerMizer_Monitor_(GPU_0),Yes,1000
Timer = Thermal_Monitor_(GPU_0),Yes,1000

# Attributes:

0/CursorShadow=0
0/CursorShadowAlpha=64
0/CursorShadowRed=0
0/CursorShadowGreen=0
0/CursorShadowBlue=0
0/CursorShadowXOffset=4
0/CursorShadowYOffset=2
0/SyncToVBlank=0
0/LogAniso=0
0/FSAA=0
0/TextureSharpen=0
0/TextureClamping=0
0/AllowFlipping=1
0/FSAAAppControlled=1
0/LogAnisoAppControlled=1
0/OpenGLImageSettings=1
0/FSAAAppEnhanced=0
0/RedBrightness=-0.488372
0/GreenBrightness=-0.488372
0/BlueBrightness=-0.488372
0/RedContrast=0.000000
0/GreenContrast=0.000000
0/BlueContrast=0.000000
0/RedGamma=1.000000
0/GreenGamma=1.000000
0/BlueGamma=1.000000
0/DigitalVibrance[DFP-0]=0
0/ColorSpace[DFP-0]=0
0/ColorRange[DFP-0]=0
0/XVideoTextureBrightness=0
0/XVideoTextureContrast=0
0/XVideoTextureHue=0
0/XVideoTextureSaturation=0
0/XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank=1
0/XVideoSyncToDisplay=65536
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: UP6 and Brightness troubles on Toshiba L750

Post by roger64 »

Hi

I do not know if this is the recommended way of doing things but it saved my day because I was about to comeback to UP5.
I suppressed the current nvidia-settings package. I installed the squeeze version of it with a deb (nvidia-settings_195.36.24-1 for amd64)

I installed it. Found the brightness slider (screenshot), reduced the brightness, saved the config. On reboot, I must as usual start nvidia-settings to find again my brightness settings.

Solved.
brightness.jpg
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [solved] UP6 and Brightness troubles on Toshiba L750

Post by roger64 »

Hi

About nvidia-settings

This morning I had a big update in LMDE, including nvidia. It was about installing the 304.48-1 driver. Unhappily it also intended to install a new version of nvidia-settings. Once installed, I tried it and found myself in the same problem as before: with this version of nvidia-settings there is no way I can reduce the brightness of my screen.

I unistalled nvidia-settings and installed again the 195.36.24-1 version of nvidia-settings. This time, it triggered a broken dependency (libgl1-nvidia-glx). I followed on nevertheless and forced the install. Once again, when starting this old version of nvidia-settings, I was able to reduce the brightness of my screen... For how long? :(

I would wish that nvidia-settings allow the user to do exactly what its name means: modify the settings, namely the brightness settings (see photo above).
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [solved] UP6 and Brightness troubles on Toshiba L750

Post by roger64 »

Hi

The install of the old version of nvidia-settings triggered a broken dependency and provided a fake brightness setting. I mean, the screen was effectively dimmed but it was not the real thing. And further I was unable to install new software with dpkg because of this dependencey question, so it could not be a long-term solution.

So, I still searched for a better solution. It is with a little shame that I can report that the applet Brightness I found by chance in /usr/share/Cinnamon works perfectly well for this purpose. For the first time I can now very easily tune the brightness of my laptop. I have no idea how long it has been here, but it's a giant step for Toshiba mankind.

I will stay with Mint forever. :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”