Any problem with going directly from UP4 to UP6?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cb474

Any problem with going directly from UP4 to UP6?

Post by cb474 »

I never updated to UP5 (for reasons of laziness). Should I anticipate any issues with going directly form UP4 to UP6?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Any problem with going directly from UP4 to UP6?

Post by wayne128 »

cb474 wrote:I never updated to UP5 (for reasons of laziness). Should I anticipate any issues with going directly form UP4 to UP6?
Yes, you should anticipate issues.

It is wise to clone your existing working OS partition onto usb drive, before a large dist-upgrade.
jumping from UP4 to UP6 is a large dist-upgrade.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Yes I would make sure have clone/backup.
But

I went from another distro (based on LMDE) that the ISO uses only UPack4 and I upgraded to UPack 6 (from ISO install) with out issue (that I know of :P ) It also used Icewm (WM) and I changed to Xfce (prefference).

J.Jay
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the reason I never got around to doing the update from UP4 to UP5 is because I installed LMDE using encryption and LVM. This complicated my old way of doing backups with Clonezilla that was very easy. In principle Clonezilla should be able to handle LVM and encryption. In practice I couldn't figure it out and it seems others more advanced than me could not get it to work either.

So I was trying to find another way to do a clone/backup. The combination of LVM and encryption makes it a bit difficult. I finally settled on using fsarchiver but then never got around to figuring it out. So I guess I better do that before I find myself looking at an upgrade from UP4 to UP7.

Return to “LMDE Archive”