Update Woes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Update Woes

Post by millpond »

Problems with new updates.

Today I changed my sources.list to the 'correct' repos (I normally have dozens), and did the 'dist-upgrade' thing.

It seems to work fine, and for most it would be rather smooth except for some breakages in a few obscure packages which were more apt errors as the packages like bind9 and clamav were actually fully installed and functional - just needed their entries wiped from the ststus file....

However it has a fatal flaw.

It wont allow a root login to XFCE.

This is a major problem, as I do alot of development as well as website stuff and hell will freeze over before I will rewrite my scrpts and have to keyboard pws every time i want to do something. For 'normal' use I use KDE as a user with maybe a couple rooted terminals open. But in XFCE I want *total* control.

I just need to know what broke so I can fix it.
Oh, before folks get on their high horses about the root urban myths, I have been running Linux since kernel 0.96.
I am not even really interested in rooting the KDE GUI. Its where i go to relax.
XFCE is where i go to 'work', and I want no distractions. I also , run X utils from my scripts, plus I hate the idea of having icons I cant click on and run with full permissions, as some of my apps NEED. Its a real annoyance launcihng a gui app fropm a terminal when an Icon will do.

I cannot find an XFCE config file to allow root.
And I am not really interested in rooting the other DEs (though i feel it is a disservice to the Linux community for the developers to adopt such a patronizing attitude that they regard us like the idjits in Redmond.)

The problem appears to be in /etc
I restored the old /etc and everything is actually running fine, but not an ideal situation after an update!

\
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Update Woes

Post by millpond »

Many thanks!
Was not aware of the lightdm config files.

I simply used mc and removed the comment from the line of the statement.
It did not need to be appended in...

Over a period of 20+ years I have made some major mistakes, but NONE that could be directly attributable to 'being root'.
I wiped out a wrong partition once, but that was because I got the drive letters mixed up, and was not something that could have been prevented by file permissions.

Here we have a peer-peer network, the Win systems are wide open (admin) to each other and Samba has only a small access at /user/share.
My understanding of the word 'seurity' is to ensure that the Linux systems never see a login prompt outside of bootup, and never respond to one without the system keyboard. All remote functions, such as SSH have been disabled, or rather, removed from init.d. If I dont NEED iot it dont autostart, if I can help it...

If someone is at the keyboard I *want* them to have absolute control. I have an online business, and its crucial that I be able to tell someone to jump into XFCE as root and take complete contyrol over the Windows systems and any other functions if I should have sudden health problems. No sudo for the wife.

I spend MOST of my time *happy* with the KDE setup, as most of the multimedia programs and browsers are garbage and probably can do damage as root.
I avoid mistakes using mc, which with a bit of configuration is ALMOST as good as the Win FAR. These are, of course terminal apps, and if you are unaware of them, I know of no other apps so useful in the cyber universe. Everything from file permissions to sftp can be handled by these wonders.

But make no mistakes - errors and backdoors can be just as hazardous as a user than as root. Most people keep their sensitive info under their personal accounts, easily located. As root i can hide things anywhere amid over 2 million files. Each aspect has its strrength and weaknesses.

I've been thiniking of adding SELinux to LMDE. A PITA, but something that can be whipped into line and toggled on and off when needed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”