Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [10-11-14]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
narendra.d

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [12-08-13]

Post by narendra.d »

Hi Everyone,

LMDE Mint 64 bit MATE user here (Tracking Testing obviously). Had the system dist-upgraded after a while without looking for listbugs and have a system stuck somehow.

System boots fine, Login OK, Displays Desktop, but Network Manager applet is not available on the task bar (I need NM to connect using a USB Dongle). None of the menu items work from the menu. Synaptic does not open at all (not even from Terminal). Neither do System Monitor, gparted or many others.

The little that i have seen or understood, it has something to do with gtk3, but I cant see gtk3 in MATE.

Some of the errors that i see are:

Code: Select all

glibtop: Non-standard uts for running kernel:
release 3.9-1-amd64=3.10.0 gives version code 198912

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected

(synaptic:3671): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:85:17: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(synaptic:3671): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:192:17: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(synaptic:3671): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:228:17: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.
Any Advice on any fix and how to fix. Else I will have to go back to a June month Clonezilla backup.

Thank you all for this wonderful forum.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

narendra.d
the 2 first errors are harmless (are actually warnings), the last one might be the real problem (for the vanishing applications, not for the issue with n-m); it's a theme issue, meaning that the gtk theme you are using is not compatible anymore; you have to experiment with the several themes until you find one that has proper gtk3 support.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

narendra.d wrote:System boots fine, Login OK, Displays Desktop, but Network Manager applet is not available on the task bar (I need NM to connect using a USB Dongle). None of the menu items work from the menu. Synaptic does not open at all (not even from Terminal). Neither do System Monitor, gparted or many others.
None of GTK+3 apps will open with the themes using unico engine because of [url=http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=706330]a bug in gtk3-engines-unico[/url].
Try changing to clearlooks or something else not using unico.
narendra.d wrote:Some of the errors that i see are:
These are just minor warnings compared to the real problem described above :)
narendra.d

Post by narendra.d »

Thank you for the responses so far. Much Appreciated.

As mentioned before I use a USB Dongle to connect and need NM. The rest can wait. I am more concerned about the Network Manager and Synaptic. Any ideas how I can get them back to work?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Have you tried what I suggested?
narendra.d

Post by narendra.d »

Noob Question: I have LMDE MATE, which I know is based on Gnome 2, but Unico has Gtk 3. So I should NOT be having Unico ? Or am I totally confused or clueless?
gbhat2108

Post by gbhat2108 »

Hi everyone,

After waiting for UP7 so long, I have decided to jump to Debian testing. I am using MATE and I have added MATE repo along with Debian testing. Not sure if this is a good idea. Can someone tell me?

I have dist-upgraded my machine on 21/08. And I got nearly a GB worth of updates!! Everything went smooth, I have a working machine except few minor issues.

1. Update wiped my desktop settings, I had to spend considerable time to redo all the settings.

2. nm-applet is missing in panel. I tried to manually launch it from /etc/xdg/autostart. But it warned me saying not authenticated. And nothing happened when I clicked "launch anyway."
But when I launched it as administrator, icon appeared with different theme on panel, but it works fine.

@Narendra- you can try this. If you got any other solution let me know.
narendra.d

Post by narendra.d »

gbhat2108 wrote:2. nm-applet is missing in panel. I tried to manually launch it from /etc/xdg/autostart. But it warned me saying not authenticated. And nothing happened when I clicked "launch anyway."
But when I launched it as administrator, icon appeared with different theme on panel, but it works fine.

@Narendra- you can try this. If you got any other solution let me know.
Thank you @gbhat and all for the help.
Tried this. But did not work. Got the same warning about not being Authenticated, but nothing worked. Not even from terminal or from root. I do not have eth0, but use a dongle to connect, so it is becoming extremely difficult. Also Synaptic does not work.
gbhat2108

Post by gbhat2108 »

@Narendra,

I did recreate your problem and as you said nm-applet and synaptic did not work from menu as well as from terminal. I got the similar error message in terminal as in your earlier (big list of error) post.

What I then did is simply changed my theme. I can confirm that synaptic works from menu in Aurora, Clear looks, Crux and WinMe theme, but not in Mint-X and Mint-Z. It did not work in my custom theme too. nm-applet works if you manually launch it in above said themes. But you have to launch it again when you log out or reboot.

Hope this helps! :)
narendra.d

Post by narendra.d »

Hi

Thanks @gbhat for the advice. I did change the theme to clearlooks (had to install it) and there certainly is some improvement. The nm-applet is back, synaptic works from the --->Menu ---> System ---> Package Manager. The Applications in the Menu do not work at all (None of the groups or programs). I am able to connect to the net. If I change the theme back to MATE default, the nm-applet disappears. So as of now i have a working system.

Some of the applications that I tried to start from the terminal get me this error:

gksu opera
glibtop: Non-standard uts for running kernel:
release 3.10-2-amd64=3.10.0 gives version code 199168

opera: Session management problem: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
As of now the system is apt-get upgraded (Not Dist-upgrade). Any idea how things can be fixed (Programs launch from the menu or otherwise,
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Just an FYI,

Today's updates included a fix which means it is once again possible to edit your sources list from within MintUpdate/Synaptic/Software Manager/Software Sources. :D

These are the updates involved:

aptdaemon 
aptdaemon-data 
python-aptdaemon
python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets 
python3-aptdaemon
python3-gi
A great day for GUI'ers everywhere! :wink:
gbhat2108

Post by gbhat2108 »

Indeed it's a great day for GUIers. I got my beloved mintmenu back. :D
narendra.d

Post by narendra.d »

The latest upgrades have fixed everything, except the nm-applet that still disappears if I change the theme to the default in Mint.
What about the rest of you out there?

On a completely unrelated issue, I was looking through the packages installed and saw a huge list of libs that were marked as orphans by orphaner. Those I removed and have seen no issue as of now. Also I see that I have multiple versions of cpp (4.3, 4.4, 4.6, 4.7) and th associated g++ and gcc versions. I am just a normal desktop user and have nothing to do with development. Can the older versions be deleted if i do not see any applications depending on them? Or is there a better way to deal with them other than to leave them as is.

Thank you once again for all help and to the developers to have fixed things.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

[note this bug also affects UP7]

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925823

Lightning 2.6 is pretty badly broken by Thunderbird 24.0 --> 24.0.1. No calendars or tasks load, and the interface is unresponsive.

Error console (ctrl+shift+J) shows "version xul24.0 not found."

Also: note Google's CalDAV URL changed last month.

https://developers.google.com/google-ap ... w_endpoint
https://blog.mozilla.org/calendar/2013/ ... calendars/
dasdas

Post by dasdas »

Hi guys, dose anyone have a solution for the Cinnamon removal when doing a dist-upgrade (how to make a dist-upgrade with out removing Cinnamon)?
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

dasdas wrote:Hi guys, dose anyone have a solution for the Cinnamon removal when doing a dist-upgrade (how to make a dist-upgrade with out removing Cinnamon)?
Gnome 3.8 breaks the current release of Cinnamon (1.8 ).

You should use apt-get upgrade / aptitude safe-upgrade until LMDE gets Cinnamon 2.0 (sometime after Mint 16; maybe December?).
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Or you can compile Cinnamon 2.0.2 and then you can dist-upgrade. :D
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

OK. Had autoupdates off since I had a *huge* sources.list, where I did try to keep packages away from experimental.
This is also a bit of a hybrid system with dozens of programs compiled without being 'debianized' .
About half of Debian is installed (and I mean half) as well as nealy all of perl via CPAN. Along with all of java I could find.
This is a fossil system running an AMD 32 bit processor, an ATI 9500 card, and 1 Gb of memory.

It was a bumpy ride as expected, when I changed sources.list for a dist-upgrade for TESTING, with about 6000 packages needing upgrading.
The major hurdle was eclipse-platform-data and the *only* way to get past is was by removing it totally from /var/lib/dpkg/status, and from the /info below it.

For the first part I used the command line, but after needless hours being wasted every time it would hit a snag, used Synaptic with Upgradable and was able to get through the rough spots until about half were installed, and then went for the full apt-upgrade, and when that worked, wen for apt dist-upgrade. Also noted that eclipse-platform-data reanimated, but was removable in synaptic this time after causing errors. The Eclipse was from a recent version, and would not permit writing in its directory. At least according to the error.

Everything looked OK finally after 3 days, and I rebooted. KDE was gone. I had to reinstall KDE as well as apper. Though i may need to be rid of apper later. Definitely do NOT want Nepomuk. I had to go into that funny side cotrol and get my icons.

Still testing, but major bugs so far are:

1.Firefox absolutely refuses to load via icon -complains abuut not finding profile, even after reinstall. It does load fine from a script. Need to find a way to fix this - wife sometimes uses this machine.
2.XML::SaxParser seems to be broken, will not load bug reports. Will need to troubleshoot that in perl .
3.Cannot set refresh rates. Xrandr is not detecting card abilities, ad says 1280X1020 but ith refresh rate of 0.

I do not seem to be having any video problems, but then again I do not use 3D or special effects on this machine. its normally used for development.

The system seems *faster* than Wheezy. Alot more responsive. just needs a few bugs worked out of it -so far.
Where exactly are the xorg.conf settings these days?
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

Update to last post with Firefox:
When called from a root terminal Firefox will work fine.
It will generate a single compiler error to stderr. But thats normal.

When called from a user terminal firefox will load, but sans history and bookmarks bar.
It will generate the compiler error plus a series of errors about a monospace font.
The monospace error can be fixed with a replacement file here:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/font ... mments=all

However, that does not fix the user problem with history and bookmarks, apparently because *something* is keeping the home file from being accessed.

Could it be Selinux?

Edited to add:
Is anyone else getting an XML::SaxParser error message on package install (synaptic) from the BugTracker?
Part of the problem is that there is NO XML::SaxParser module, at least on CPAN or my own machine...
Edited... Nope, not a Perl module - but an apparently buggy Ruby script.
(Found a fix, but it does not work!)
flxyxlz

Post by flxyxlz »

upgrade to mate 1.6 by main server
solved

Return to “LMDE Archive”