MATE menu changed to gnome 3 style menu during update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
oddmundn

MATE menu changed to gnome 3 style menu during update

Post by oddmundn »

Hi.
I have been using LMDE for a couple of years now and love the MATE version. However, after my last update (have Upd.pack 6 from previously, but now there was some standalone packages) the MATE startmenu changed to the three-button style of Gnome 3 (Progams, Places, System). I prefer the old single Startbutton. How can I return?
Strangely enough, on two other computers I retained the menu after the same upgrade. Maybe it is not inteded/a bug?
I hope someone has an easy fix to this? How to return to the "single" MATE Start-button?

Oddmund
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jerom

Re: MATE menu changed to gnome 3 style menu during update

Post by Jerom »

You can right-clic on your task bar and "Add" the other Mint-menu or Mate-menu from the list of desklets (and "delete" the existing menu you don't want). :!:
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

First an admission; I was a big fan of Gnome during especially the 1.x and later also the late 2.x periods... they sure liked f@%ing their existing userbase over.

When the loong-awaited UP7 showed up I could not but give in, and after the system came back up I was only offered log-in options for default and Gnome 3... with the default apparently taking me to... Gnome 3.

I curse the corporate morons who "brought us Gnome 3", but this install is even worse, being broken.

Basic apps like terminal fail to open and if even if it worked I can't even find a place to change the ugly default theme or to install anything (synaptic won't open either).

Any ideas of what might help me get Cinnamon or XFCE onto this system so I could start on my recovery of forgetting gnome, again.

Alt-ctrl-2 T least gets me tty so what do I run or install to get rid of this damned Gnome 'environment'?
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

Oh, and Gnome "classic" was in the session login menu too, but that session would die before birth.

Gnome 3 is like living on Mars without a spacesuit. And even worse when broken.
Jerom

Post by Jerom »

You can follow these tutorials :
MATE : http://www.fandigital.com/2012/07/install-latest-mate-in-ubuntu-debian.html
Cinnamon : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=130515

Return to “LMDE Archive”