Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOLVED]

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby Monsta on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 am

palimmo wrote:ehy! any news?

Not satisfied with perfectly working gvfs 1.12? :)
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby palimmo on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Monsta wrote:
palimmo wrote:ehy! any news?

Not satisfied with perfectly working gvfs 1.12? :)

Yes. And No.
It's not "elegant" to have a downgraded package.
And new users will face this problem immediately after installation.
Not a good start point... :?
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
User avatar
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby Monsta on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:06 pm

palimmo wrote:It's not "elegant" to have a downgraded package.

I'd forget about "elegance" in something based on Debian Testing and at such low level that no one can appreciate it.

palimmo wrote:And new users will face this problem immediately after installation.

Not immediately, but after upgrade to UP7. You can't do much here.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby palimmo on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Monsta wrote:
palimmo wrote:It's not "elegant" to have a downgraded package.

I'd forget about "elegance" in something based on Debian Testing and at such low level that no one can appreciate it.

palimmo wrote:And new users will face this problem immediately after installation.

Not immediately, but after upgrade to UP7. You can't do much here.


As far as I know, the faster we solve it the better it is.
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
User avatar
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby kurotsugi on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:05 pm

interesting...I have sony and lenovo and both of them are working quite fine with on my system. furthermore, I only found samsung mentioned as product affected by this issue. I think samsung might have different mtp implementation on their devices. who knows?

anyway, new gvfs are on the way :3 http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gvfs.html it might enter unstable next month. nevertheless, there's no guarantee that this update will fix the problem. if you're using samsung device I highly suggest to stay with monsta's advice.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby uvajed on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 pm

kurotsugi wrote:interesting...I have sony and lenovo and both of them are working quite fine with on my system. furthermore, I only found samsung mentioned as product affected by this issue. I think samsung might have different mtp implementation on their devices. who knows?

I'm not sure what you mean, sony and lenovo computers with Mint installed, or sony and lenovo Android devices? Either way, I disagree. The Mint machine I initially commented about is a Toshiba laptop, another is a home-built desktop, and the gvfs problem exists on both of them when used with not only a Samsung android phone but also multiple LG phones, a no-name tablet, and an ASUS tablet, at the very least. So it doesn't seem to be Samsung-specific, unless you are talking about something else entirely.

kurotsugi wrote:anyway, new gvfs are on the way :3 http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gvfs.html it might enter unstable next month. nevertheless, there's no guarantee that this update will fix the problem. if you're using samsung device I highly suggest to stay with monsta's advice.

I will try the new version but I'm not too optimistic just yet.
uvajed
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby palimmo on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:20 am

Maybe someone already using UP8 (incoming) could say us if a new version of gvfs is shipped.
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
User avatar
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby wayne128 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:47 am

palimmo wrote:Maybe someone already using UP8 (incoming) could say us if a new version of gvfs is shipped.



This is LMDE-mate-32-bit with UP8 installed.
lmdemate wayne # inxi -r
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import incoming
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free
lmdemate wayne #



Code: Select all
lmdemate wayne # apt-cache policy gvfs
gvfs:
  Installed: 1.16.3-1+b2
  Candidate: 1.16.3-1+b2
  Version table:
 *** 1.16.3-1+b2 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
lmdemate wayne #
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3325
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby palimmo on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:12 am

wayne128 wrote:
palimmo wrote:Maybe someone already using UP8 (incoming) could say us if a new version of gvfs is shipped.



This is LMDE-mate-32-bit with UP8 installed.
lmdemate wayne # inxi -r
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import incoming
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free
lmdemate wayne #



Code: Select all
lmdemate wayne # apt-cache policy gvfs
gvfs:
  Installed: 1.16.3-1+b2
  Candidate: 1.16.3-1+b2
  Version table:
 *** 1.16.3-1+b2 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
lmdemate wayne #


This is with UP7
Code: Select all
    apt-cache policy gvfs
gvfs:
  Installed: 1.12.3-4
  Candidate: 1.16.3-1
  Version table:
     1.16.3-1 0
        500 http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/linuxmint/debian/latest/ testing/main amd64 Packages
 *** 1.12.3-4 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Is it worth trying the new one with UP8?
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
User avatar
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby wyrdoak on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:52 am

I had to port to wheezy then the pin gvfs down to keep from updating until a better version comes though.

Code: Select all
wyrdoak # apt-cache policy gvfs
gvfs:
  Installed: 1.12.3-4
  Candidate: 1.12.3-4
  Package pin: 1.12.3-4
  Version table:
     1.16.3-1+b2 1001
-Dell Mini Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(Maya-Xfce) LInux 3.2.0.57-generic(i686)
SolydX (32bit)
User avatar
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby Monsta on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:15 pm

palimmo wrote:Is it worth trying the new one with UP8?

No. It's exactly the same version. The "+b2" suffix can be ignored (see here why).
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby palimmo on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Monsta wrote:
palimmo wrote:Is it worth trying the new one with UP8?

No. It's exactly the same version. The "+b2" suffix can be ignored (see here why).

what a pity!
And this is really strange, 'cause on the same laptop i'm using SolydK too and the automount works with the last version of gvfs...
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
User avatar
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby Monsta on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Automount? :?
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby palimmo on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Monsta wrote:Automount? :?

no automount, sorry. :lol:
But the device is detected.
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
User avatar
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby Monsta on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:59 pm

I don't know, KDE is different... I don't even know if gvfs (which is Gnome project) is used there in any way. It would be more interesting if you'd test it in SolydX.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby palimmo on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:01 am

Monsta wrote:I don't know, KDE is different... I don't even know if gvfs (which is Gnome project) is used there in any way. It would be more interesting if you'd test it in SolydX.

strange.. because it is installed anyway in SolydK
snapshot8.png
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
User avatar
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby Monsta on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:11 am

No problem, if it's installed, that's fine :) I just stated that I don't know how/if it's used there.

I think zerozero might know something, but you'll need to ask him at SolydXK forums, because he didn't appear here at Mint forums for a few months...
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby kurotsugi on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, sony and lenovo computers with Mint installed, or sony and lenovo Android devices? Either way, I disagree. The Mint machine I initially commented about is a Toshiba laptop, another is a home-built desktop, and the gvfs problem exists on both of them when used with not only a Samsung android phone but also multiple LG phones, a no-name tablet, and an ASUS tablet, at the very least. So it doesn't seem to be Samsung-specific, unless you are talking about something else entirely.
sony and lenovo android device.both of them are working fine with MTP mode. if your device didn't got recognized, there are two main possibilities
1. the manufacture have modify some part on their MTP system, thus, it doesn't work on linux yet. as I've stated, no samsung with MTP mode works on my system. my sony and lenovo, in other hand, works just fine. samsung is known with their modification on their android's codes. I knew it because I've been developing something for their product on XDA.
2. the device isn't yet registered into libmtp9 library on linux. this is what I got when I buy my sony. at first, it didn't recognized. but after upgrade libmtp9 it got recognized and now it working just fine. you'll need to wait until the library is updated with your device entry.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby Monsta on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 am

The latest update of debian-system-adjustments package includes kernel polling udev rule, so the storage on Android devices should now be accessible even with gvfs 1.16.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOL

Postby killer de bug on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Monsta wrote:The latest update of debian-system-adjustments package includes kernel polling udev rule, so the storage on Android devices should now be accessible even with gvfs 1.16.


Clem said to me yesterday, that all these old problem of mounting should be solved now in the ISO and in UP8.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
User avatar
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Austria

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests