gnubiff popup fails in UP7

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
smw

gnubiff popup fails in UP7

Post by smw »

I updated from UP6 to UP7 two weeks ago, and almost everything is working perfectly. The only real problem I have is with gnubiff.

When new mail arrives, gnubiff pops up a window with a one-line summary of each message, up to a configurable maximum number of messages. Since the UP7 update, this popup no longer behaves correctly.

Specifically, when launched, it will correctly show the first incoming message. After that, for all subsequent messages (and no matter how many new messages accumulate), the popup window has its normal width, but a height of only about 2-3 pixels -- less than enough to show even one line of text. Strangely, clicking inside the squashed popup correctly pops up another window to show the first few lines of the newest message, even though the summary text is invisible.

This has been reported as a bug in Debian, specifically
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=718311

...but I don't believe that it's actually a bug in gnubiff itself. That's because I manually downgraded from the UP7 version of gnubiff (2.2.15-2) to the UP6 version (2.2.15-1), and found absolutely no change; the older version misbehaved in exactly the same way as the new one. (I've since restored the new version, again with no change in behavior).

This leads me to believe that the bug is really in a library used by gnubiff, but offhand I have no idea which one.

Has anyone else seen the same problem? Any suggestions for a workaround?

Thanks,

- Steven
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
josef2

Re: gnubiff popup fails in UP7

Post by josef2 »

I found same issue in my fresh Mint 16 MATE and gnubiff 2.2.15-2 from repo. There is at least one other similar report in this forum.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: gnubiff popup fails in UP7

Post by Monsta »

josef2 wrote:I found same issue in my fresh Mint 16 MATE and gnubiff 2.2.15-2 from repo. There is at least one other similar report in this forum.
Then why did you post in this thread instead of that one?
(Hint: read the comment from the moderator at the bottom of the post in that thread.)

Return to “LMDE Archive”