No DVD Automount after Update 7 (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

No DVD Automount after Update 7 (SOLVED)

Post by Fornhamfred »

Inserting either a cd or dvd into my dvd rom the drive does not automount but as soon as brasero is started Caja opens and automounts the drive. Once caja has automounted this way it will continue to automount any media in the drive until the machine is restarted.

IMHO there is a service not being started. Should autofs be installed as it is not on my system?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mircsicz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No DVD Automount after Update 7

Post by mircsicz »

+1 for me... Didn't try brasero thing yet but just had two DVD's in the drive which where not mounted!
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have two machines both running 64bit LMDE with this same problem. I assume that this must be a bug???
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Looks similar to what's described in [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=146252]this thread[/url]. It's reproducible even in a virtual machine: the ISO won't mount unless you run Brasero. And just as I thought, the culprit is the same - the buggy heap of dung named gvfs 1.16. After I've [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=146187#p770495]downgraded gvfs to 1.12[/url], the automount came back.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks

I will give it a go later and report back.

Yes that has worked for me, thanks for your help.
Gid

Re: No DVD Automount after Update 7 (SOLVED)

Post by Gid »

I'm getting the same problem here, not just with DVDs but with any optical media. Man, it's a pain in the neck--but thanks for mentioning the Brasero work-around. That's what I'll be doing until things get back on track.

Update 7 seems to have screwed a lot of things up. I wish I would have waited before installing it.

EDIT: Pressing the physical eject button while a disc is mounted no longer opens the drive. Right-clicking on the desktop's mounted icon and selecting the eject option gets around this.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Gid wrote:That's what I'll be doing until things get back on track.
It can be a long time. :)
Gid

Post by Gid »

Haha, I'll rephrase:
That's what I'll be doing until things get back on track or I end up pulling some hair out.
I do want to try out the permanent fix you posted, though, as the general process of downgrading would probably come in handy elsewhere. Thanks!
Ring0Bearer

Post by Ring0Bearer »

I'm finding similar problems, but I find it may extend to ALL removable media. It no longer autodetects Compact Flash nor SD flash either.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Have you tried Monsta's solution in a previous reply?
Ring0Bearer

Post by Ring0Bearer »

Fornhamfred, yes I did and it works for CD/DVD removable media but not for others. For SD and CF you need to use some other userspace application. I have the impression a media change flag is not being set or ignored and it takes an application to poll the device rather then depending on an auto sense flag.

IMMHO, I would scarcely call this "solved". There is a temporary kludge to get past it but hardly a solution to the problem.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

install package 'udisks-glue'
and stick command in auto-start applications

seems to work for me in LMDE (mate DE)
But
Not fully if use other DE (I like Xfce) :P
So test command (its a daemon) before sticking in auto-start

Hopes Help
J.Jay
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

The latest update of debian-system-adjustments package includes kernel polling udev rule, so the DVDs should be automounted even with gvfs 1.16.

Return to “LMDE Archive”