mintConstructor pitfalls with LMDE

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

mintConstructor pitfalls with LMDE

Postby attackroomba on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:56 pm

I can't image that mintConstructor is going to always work, so the fact that it doesn't work out of the box doesn't come as a surprise. However, unfortunately there is absolutely no error handling, so if something does go wrong, the terminal output must be reviewed to detect if anything broken during the steps.

I'm compiling a list of the issues I encountered with it so far in my usage to re-spin LMDE with the latest update pack. I followed these instructions (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918) to re-spin the ISO, and these instructions (viewtopic.php?f=198&t=146220&p=769834#p768772) to perform the update inside the chroot.

The first issue I encountered was because included in the latest update is a move to a newer kernel, 3.10-2. In order to perform the initramfs update, I mounted the following file systems outside of mintConstructor:

Code: Select all
mount -o bind /proc /path/to/working_dir/root/proc
mount -o bind /dev /path/to/working_dir/root/dev
mount -o bind /sys /path/to/working_dir/root/sys

Make sure to unmount them after the chroot step is complete, otherwise errors will appear when attempting to squashfs the system.

umount /path/to/working_dir/root/proc
umount /path/to/working_dir/root/sys
umount /path/to/working_dir/root/dev

The second issue I encountered has to do with the initrd (initramfs) image, and the fact that it's assembled differently from previous kernels for whatever reason when a package called intel-microcode is installed. The expectation of mintConstructor is that the initrd will be gzip'd, or lmza'd, with the 3.10 kernel in testing, it appears to have a CPIO package prepended to it which contains some intel microcodes. This results in the following error when mintConstructor gets to updating it:

lzma: Decoder error

Subsequent errors appear as a result, but the script continues assuming everything is OK. It's important to run mintConstructor from a terminal so that this output can be seen and reviewed during execution.

To return the initramfs image to the tradition format, I removed the intel-microcode package using apt-get:

apt-get purge intel-microcode

The third issue I encountered was after, the squashfs system was made, the first time I ran it, no ISO was created. This was due to an error that occurred during the iso creation step where it says that he Volume sting is too long.

I was using the string "LinuxMint Debian Edition 64-bit", just for a quick fix, I went with a much shorter string which seemed to work, "lmde-20131012". Word on the street is that the volume ID is limited to 32 characters, however, the string I chose above is 31 in length.

Unfortunately, the ISO doesn't load into the MATE DE completely in my VMware Player, but I tested the ISO on a bare metal system and it worked fine. The ISO does complete building, and successfully boots loading the kernel, and initrd.
attackroomba
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mintConstructor pitfalls with LMDE

Postby Monsta on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 am

Thanks a lot for mentioning these quirks :)
I've reported them on github.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues