UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Postby tomisnt on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:00 pm

I have a multiboot machine with Mint Olivia, LMDE, and windows as OSes. I haven't been able to boot LMDE ever since I did the UP7. I get a message saying, "There was an error loading the theme linuxmint. Couldnt reconize the image file '/usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg "

I haven't had time to post here until now. Anyone have any ideas how I might repair this?
tomisnt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Postby cwsnyder on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:32 am

I would log in to your Linux Mint Olivia or use a Live disk first. Now go to your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg and copy the file to either your /home/<username>/ folder or other convenient folder, then simply copy a known good image from your /home/<username>/Pictures folder or other source over the top of /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg, overwriting it, for now, until you find out what the problem is.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 14.10 64-bit, Xubuntu 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Postby tomisnt on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 pm

cwsnyder wrote:I would log in to your Linux Mint Olivia or use a Live disk first. Now go to your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg and copy the file to either your /home/<username>/ folder or other convenient folder, then simply copy a known good image from your /home/<username>/Pictures folder or other source over the top of /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg, overwriting it, for now, until you find out what the problem is.

Thanks, I tried this a couple times. I got the same response. One correction it states:

"There was an error loading the theme linuxmint. Couldnt reconize the image file format for file '/usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg "
tomisnt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cwsnyder on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:06 pm

The best I can advise you would be to rename (mv) your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg file to something like /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg.bak , logout, then choose your background manually from the desktop settings.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 14.10 64-bit, Xubuntu 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues