[SOLVED] UP8 breaks network-manager-vpnc

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] UP8 breaks network-manager-vpnc

Postby jasonsmith on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:44 pm

LMDE Cinnamon 64. Just upgraded. "latest".

vpnc is the client of choice for connecting to Cisco VPN. On UP7, I was using the network-manager-vpnc integration to connect. It worked great. Now it appears to be broken.

I can still connect using vpnc-connect, so I am not blocked. The Cinnamon/gnome integration loses the passwords when marked save, and when you set "Always Ask," the VPN connection simply fails with no indication that something went wrong.

I also tried manually editing the /etc/NetworkManager/... configuration file for the VPN connection. No luck there, but then I don't really know what I am doing with that particular configuration.

This may be the wrong place to be talking about this. Could someone point me in the right direction if that is the case? Is this a Cinnamon 2.0 thing, a gnome thing?

Thanks.
Last edited by jasonsmith on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: UP8 breaks network-manager-vpnc

Postby jasonsmith on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:44 pm

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager
Version: 0.9.8.0-5

Reference https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=703965 and possibly https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=682575 from the NetworkManager project. However, the "fix" (workaround) from the first bug report does not address the problem. The passwords are never saved - that is, they are blank when you return to the VPN configuration dialog.

This is pretty core stuff, and something that has always worked for me in the past. I'm not quite sure the best way to proceed.
  • Can anyone tell me how I could get more information about what is going on, either in the configuration or when I try to launch the connection (which fails silently)? Where might I find logs for this?
  • Can anyone else confirm this is a problem for them? Has anyone else seen this?

Since I am using the "latest" repositories, I am aware that the version I am using might be quite a bit behind development. This bug might already be fixed upstream. I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Helpful advice from the experts would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
jasonsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monsta on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:29 am

jasonsmith wrote:Since I am using the "latest" repositories, I am aware that the version I am using might be quite a bit behind development. This bug might already be fixed upstream.

In this case it's not so: both UP8 and Debian Testing have network-manager-vpnc 0.9.8.6-1.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Riko on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:26 am

Hi,

I have the same problem with network-manager-vpnc as described above: password fields are empty and vpnc does not connect.

However, it must have something to do with the interplay of Cinnamon and and NM. I have gnome-shell and C installed and under gnome-shell there is no problem with vpnc.

Cheers!
Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
dual boot: LMDE and Antergos both running gnome-shell
surviving in a Windows world with VMware WS 10 and Crossover 13
Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Monsta on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:15 am

That's getting interesting. Can anyone using MATE confirm whether network-manager-vpnc works or not?
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby danh on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi. I'm also interesting in this as I'm now slightly relunctant to go to UP8 if network-manager has got issues in Cinnamon...

You mentioned that it's not giving you much information as to why it's not connecting. Have you tried doing a sudo /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-vpnc-service --debug from the terminal before initiating a vpn connection from the cinnamon network applet ? I tried this in my UP7 and when the VPN connects it dumps out lots of detailed VPN connection info. The logs for network manager seem to be going to /var/log/daemon.log. You can for example see network manager launching the vpnc plugin in those logs - perhaps this might help shed some light on it ?

There is also some other people in the forum talking about issues with network-manager-pptp being broken in UP8. If it's related, then they have suggested rolling back everything network manager related to the wheezy versions to fix the problem ?
danh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby danh on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 am

Ok, I just upgraded to UP8 and the issue in my case was caused by nm-applet not running. Clem has mentioned that this will be fixed at some stage over the next few days, but the workaround for me was to put /usr/bin/nm-applet into the startup applications (cinnamon menu > startup applications).

VPN (both PPTP and VPNC) are now both working for me. Hope this helps ?
danh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Riko on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Interesting observation, danh! I c an actually confirm that. Even though the network-manager service is running (sorry, I have my system converted to systemd) and the nm icon is in the panel and seems to work properly, it's not actually nm-applet. I started nm-applet and the vpnc connection was made correctly. This is the check before starte nm-applet:

Code: Select all
> sudo systemctl status network-manager.service
network-manager.service - LSB: network connection manager
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/network-manager)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2014-02-10 21:20:52 CET; 2min 24s ago
  Process: 2067 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/network-manager start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: name=systemd:/system/network-manager.service
           ├─2286 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager
           └─3509 /sbin/dhclient -d -sf /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-clien...

Feb 10 21:21:06 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <info> Activation (wlan0) St....
Feb 10 21:21:06 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <info> (wlan0): device state...]
Feb 10 21:21:06 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <info> Policy set 'Idefix' (....
Feb 10 21:21:06 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <info> Writing DNS informati...f
Feb 10 21:21:06 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <info> Activation (wlan0) su....
Feb 10 21:21:10 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <warn> Dispatcher script tim....
Feb 10 21:21:21 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <info> (wlan0): IP6 addrconf....
Feb 10 21:21:21 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <info> Activation (wlan0) St....
Feb 10 21:21:21 mpyubriko NetworkManager[2286]: <info> Activation (wlan0) St....
> ps ax | grep -i networkmanager
 2286 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager
 3509 ?        S      0:00 /sbin/dhclient -d -sf /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-client.action -pf /var/run/dhclient-wlan0.pid -lf /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient-7649ce67-7fc2-4784-99b3-cbd2a677c337-wlan0.lease -cf /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient-wlan0.conf wlan0
 4112 pts/1    R+     0:00 grep -i networkmanager
> ps ax | grep -i nm-applet
 4678 pts/1    R+     0:00 grep -i nm-applet

After starting nm-applet, there was NO second network-manager on the panel. I do have a nm-applet.desktop in ~/.config/autostart though ...

Cheers!
Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Riko on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm

hmm, I thought we were closer, but:

nm-applet is not started under gnome-shell either, yet vpnc connections work. Must be something more subtle then :(

But, hey, look at the bright side, a workaround is there :)
Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jasonsmith on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:33 pm

Wow. I definitely asked the right group. My workaround was to use vpnc-connect from the console, but thanks so much for the nm-applet tip. I'll try that.

Unrelated, LMDE Cinnamon on UP8 has been a real pleasure to use. Really, really well done.
=======================

UPDATE: Adding /usr/bin/nm-applet to Startup Applications does the trick. Thanks again! What a simple solution.
jasonsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues