UP8 wiped out my screen background

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

UP8 wiped out my screen background

Postby dhfx on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 am

I was using a .jpg image as my screen background. After UP8 finished installing, some of my directory icons wouldn't open, and when I tried to power-down and reboot, nothing happened (I remember seeing one message come up with rectangles where characters should have been). I finally was able to reboot by cycling power manually. Login went OK (I noticed a new login screen), but then when my desktop came up, the background was and still is just a solid light gray.

When I right-click on the background, a menu comes up with "Change Desktop Background" at the bottom. Clicked this, got a "Settings" window with my .jpg image in it, the legend "Background", a link to the main Settings menu, and - that's it. When I left-click on the .jpg image, it brings up the "Select Background" with the standard wallpaper images and a Wallpaper | Pictures | Colors | Flickr selector at the top. Selecting one of the wallpapers or one of the solid colors has no effect; the Pictures and Flickr selections just blank out the window. Nothing I've found so far will get rid of the light-gray background.

As for particulars, I'm running LMDE, 32 bit, with what I think is the Gnome classic desktop ("Applications" and "Places" menus at top left). Any helpful clues would be appreciated.

- dhfx
dhfx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: UP8 wiped out my screen background (Gnome)

Postby magicvince on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:15 am

Have you try to launch an exotic application like libreoffice and have a magic oups from gnome switching to a reconnection?
It's a gnome due to icon theme "Mint-X"
Use gnome-tweak-tool
(install it with sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool)

In gnome tweak tool, search the theme setup and change icon theme "Mint-x to gnome (default) theme
magicvince
Level 1
Level 1

Re: UP8 wiped out my screen background

Postby dhfx on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:32 am

magicvince: Thanks for the quick reply. I tried launching LibreOffice, and everything went normally. Used the tweak tool, tried setting icon theme to the Gnome default; my icons changed, but otherwise nothing different; still can't set the background. Tried logging out and in again; no difference. Played with the themes in tweak tool; now have everything set to defaults. Background is now solid black as a result of changing the GTK+ theme; at least it's better than that ugly gray, and I can read the label text of my icons now.

But I'd still like to get back the ability to set an image as my background. Anyone have any other ideas of things to try? Maybe switch to a different desktop - any recommendations?

- dhfx
dhfx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby magicvince on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:32 am

Have you the gnome panel setup install?
magicvince
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dhfx on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:42 am

Not sure what you mean by "gnome panel setup install". I seem to have gnome-panel installed (according to Synaptic), but I never see the GUI for it if there is one. When I try to start it from the applications menu (under System Tools), the process spins for a while and then dies. If I try to run it from a terminal window (/usr/bin/gnome-panel) I get a message that there is one already running and a second one can't be registered. If I look for a gnome-panel process and kill it, I get an "oops" error and I have to log out and in again. Is this helpful at all?

- dhfx
dhfx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby funnyman on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:00 am

I have same problem on XFCE
funnyman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues