[SOLVED] Mintsources Error

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dclement

[SOLVED] Mintsources Error

Post by dclement »

Hi,

I've just applied UP8 and I was checking everything. I noticed that mintsources was not installed, so I installed it.

But it won't run, I get this error:

Code: Select all

daniel@m6400 ~ $ mintsources 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py", line 1217, in <module>
    Application().run()
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py", line 594, in __init__
    self.mirrors = self.read_mirror_list(self.config["mirrors"]["mirrors"])
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py", line 743, in read_mirror_list
    mirrorsfile = open(path, "r")
IOError: [Errno 2] Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type: '/usr/share/python-apt/templates/LinuxMint.mirrors'
It appears to want a file, LinuxMint.mirrors, which isn't there. Is this the problem? How could I have this file created?

TIA - best regards, Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Mintsources Error

Post by viking777 »

Moved here by moderator. Please don't attach support questions to FAQ's. Thanks.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Code: Select all

apt install mint-mirrors
dclement

Post by dclement »

Oh, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong place and not reading the FAQ till the end. I really thought I had been thorough this time... My apology to the moderators.

Well, just two more thoughts:
* perhaps mint-mirrors should be made a dependency of mintsources?
* now it's mintsources that appears when one chooses "software sources" in mintupdate. But Synaptic still has the old interface (software-properties, I believe): is this one also deprecated and to be removed?

Best regards, Daniel
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

dclement wrote:* perhaps mint-mirrors should be made a dependency of mintsources?
Well, when I've learned of this bug, I've reported it to Clem and immediately suggested to add that dependency. Clem replied that it won't happen because mintSources is written as a cross-distro tool (it's intended also for Snow Linux and some other distro I forgot about) and cannot depend on a Mint-specific package.
Instead, it will be modified to check for the mirrors file in runtime. I don't know when it will be fixed though.
dclement wrote:* now it's mintsources that appears when one chooses "software sources" in mintupdate. But Synaptic still has the old interface (software-properties, I believe): is this one also deprecated and to be removed?
Well, you need to understand that mintSources is Mint's own tool and the upstream software knows nothing about it. Synaptic is upstream, software-properties-gtk is upstream. Synaptic knows about software-properties-gtk and calls it when you tell it to edit the repos; Synaptic doesn't know about mintSources and will never call it.
You can remove software-properties-gtk if you want. Synaptic then will use its own built-in repo editor. Be warned though that this editor is buggy, for example, it crashes when you try to delete a repo.
dclement

Post by dclement »

Monsta wrote:[...]
You can remove software-properties-gtk if you want. Synaptic then will use its own built-in repo editor. Be warned though that this editor is buggy, for example, it crashes when you try to delete a repo.
Oh, I thought it was the converse (software-properties-gtk being the more buggy). No problem, I'm fine with software-properties-gtk, I find it rather more flexible than Synaptic's built-in repo. editor. I'm gladly keeping it.

Once again, many thanks, Monsta, for all your help. I'm marking the thread solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”