{Solved} Random Freezing of Cinnamon

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

{Solved} Random Freezing of Cinnamon

Postby kaamos on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Since the last update pack, Cinnamon has been randomly freezing on me. There is no recurring pattern, so I am at a loss as to what might be causing this. Here is a list of my applications running at the time of freezing:

Workspace 1:
Firefox: multiple tabs open, grooveshark one of them is playing music (!important but it will be soon)

Workspace 2:
Firefox: mulitple tabs open
Geany:

Workspace 3:
Thunderbird:

Other:
Tomboy, Guake, KeePassX, Pidgin, Variety Wallpaper changer, Dropbox

Cinnamon applets:
Hamster time tracker, Workspace changer, URL Shorten, Notification, Recent files

This is obviously not an exhaustive list but only the major applications that I turned on at startup.

Now, I worked for about 6-8 hours straight, no problem. Suddenly, everything froze. Grooveshark is still playing music. So I tried frantically hitting Esc and some other stuff (ALt-Ctrl-Delete, Alt-F4, etc) to no avail.

Finally I hit Alt+Ctrl+F3, worked!!! Logged in and started killing individual programs (kill -9 pid), and simultaneously checking if Ctrl+Alt+F7 (cinnamon) is responding. Nope. I also tried to restart cinnamon via
Code: Select all
cinnamon restart
but can't since it cannot find a window manager.

Finally, I just hit sudo reboot and everything starts up fine and works.

This has happend a couple of times now. I also use LMDE at work, and I have only had this exact issue about 2 times since the last Update Pack. Could someone please shed some light on this?

P.S. I have also noticed that sometimes there is a slight glitch about 15-20 mins before the freeze. I checked system monitor to see if there are any zombies, CPU resource hoggers, etc. But I find nothing.
Last edited by kaamos on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaamos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Random Freezing of Cinnamon

Postby kaamos on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:29 pm

So after trying a few things, I've finally come to the conclusion that it is Variety wallpaper changer that was causing the freezes. For whatever reason whenever the wallpaper would try to rotate I would notice a slight glitch sometimes. It is then I decided to remove the package and continue using the system; it hasn't frozen since.

Looking at the code for the application I have found these lines that were setting the wallpaper:
#!/bin/bash
#
# This script is run by Variety when a new wallpaper is set.
# You can use bash, python or whatever suits you for the script.
# Here you can put custom commands for setting the wallpaper on your specific desktop environment
# or run commands like notify-send to notify you of the change, or you can
# run commands that would theme your browser, login screen or whatever you desire.
#
# The first passed parameter (accessed with $1) is the absolute path to the wallpaper image to be set as wallpaper
# (after effects, clock, etc. are applied).
#
# The second passed parameter ($2) is "auto" when the wallpaper is changed automatically (i.e. regular change), "manual"
# when the user has triggered the change or "refresh" when the change is triggered by a change in quotes, clock, etc.
#
# The third passed parameter ($3) is the absolute path to the original wallpaper image (before effects, clock, etc.)
# and "manual" otherwise - e.g. when the user clicks Previous, Next or Trash.

# Here you may apply some additional custom operations on the wallpaper.
# In the end put the path to the actual wallpaper image file in the WP variable
WP=$1

# KDE - User will have to manually choose ~/.config/variety/wallpaper-kde.jpg as a wallpaper.
# Afterwards, with the command below, Variety will just overwrite the file when changing the wallpaper
# and KDE will refresh it
if [ "`env | grep KDE_FULL_SESSION | tail -c +18`" == "true" ]; then
    cp "$WP" ~/.config/variety/wallpaper-kde.jpg
    exit 0
fi

# Gnome 3, Unity
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file://$WP" 2> /dev/null
gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter background "$WP"
if [ "`gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options`" == "'none'" ]; then
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options 'zoom'
fi

# XFCE
xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /backdrop/screen0/monitor0/image-path -s "" 2> /dev/null
xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /backdrop/screen0/monitor0/image-path -s "$WP" 2> /dev/null

# LXDE/PCmanFM
pcmanfm --set-wallpaper "$WP" 2> /dev/null

# Feh - commented, as it may cause problems with Nautilus, (see bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/variety/+bug/1047083)
# feh --bg-scale "$WP" 2> /dev/null

# MATE after 1.6
gsettings set org.mate.background picture-filename "$WP" 2> /dev/null

# MATE before 1.6
mateconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/mate/background/picture_filename "$WP" 2> /dev/null

# Cinnamon after 1.8
gsettings set org.cinnamon.background picture-uri "file://$WP" 2> /dev/null

# Gnome 2
gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename "$WP" 2> /dev/null

# Show a notification on wallpaper change (only when the change is automatic). Display the original filename, but the post-effects image.
# name=$(echo "$3" | sed 's/\//\n/g'| tail -n 1)
# if [ "$2" == "auto" ]; then notify-send --icon "$WP" "Wallpaper changed" "$name" ; fi

I am thinking of creating my own wallpaper changer, does anyone notice anything wrong with the way the wallpapers are being set?

Thanks for your help!

K
kaamos
Level 1
Level 1

Re: {Solved} Random Freezing of Cinnamon

Postby xander_c212 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:49 am

I have the same issue. Apparently Cinnamon 2.0 uses
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file://$WP" 2> /dev/null

to change wallpapers, try modifying the script. Mine seems to work now but but freezes occured rarely anyhow so I'll give it a few days and come back to it.
Variety wallpaper changer should be updated to work accordingly.
xander_c212
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues